Switching to Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmonikatou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 10 gallon nano saltwater tank up and running since May. I set it up using crushed coral as a substrate because I like the look better than sand, however, I have just recently purchased an awesome lighting system for it and I am ready to add corals. I think that sand would be better for the tank and the majority of you guys like sand. My question is what is the best way to switch over to sand? I currently have 2 firefish goby's and an ocerllaris clownfish along with red-legged hermit crabs and a couple of types of starfish. Do you think that adding sand on top of the crushed coral would be the easiest way to go? Do you forsee any issues with doing this?
Thanks for your help,

Monika

I am not a fan of sand. I guess I will be the odd guy out. I like crushed coral for its buffering capability (something that sand doesn't generally do) and its resistance to packing down. Some sand sifters like sand better, but in 25 years, my sand sifters have gotten along fine with crushed coral substrate,

Awesome! That is pretty much what I needed to know. Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom