Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2003, 01:51 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Hey hoops, great post!! Not long winded at all!!
Agreed 100%!
Kevin, would you recommend an elegance as a surrogate host for the clown? I really don't want him to kill the torch if I can help it. Do you think the elegance would do OK in the 180 with 640w of VHO?

Old 05-21-2003, 07:04 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Kevin, would you recommend an elegance as a surrogate host for the clown?
Unless you know the elegance has been doing well in the store for over a month...I don't recommend them at all. There was a time when these were considered beginners corals, but these days they are more likely to die within a month than to do well. I haven't kept up with it, but the last theory I read about their problem was infestation of a parasitic crab.

You might try adding a toadstool and some hairy mushrooms, either make a good (and popular) surrogate, but the real problem is convincing the clown. You may have to remove the torch from the tank for a week or two, until the clown decides to host in something else. Of course there is no guarantee that when you put the torch back in, that the clown won't start hosting in it again.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

One of my percs has taken to the anemone like they are long lost relatives. But the other does'nt seem to want anything to do with it. The funny thing is, the one who doesn't like the anemone used to be the dominant one, now the subservient is not the dominant (because of the anemone?) What do you all make of this? And, do you think anything bad will happen to the one that's not with the anemone?

PS. I witnessed an amazing occurrence yesterday. The anemone released a silky, thread like substance from its mouth. I assumed it was food. I fed him the day b4. Then it started to shrivel up...really small!!! I started freaking out and thought ...this is it. But after a call to my LFS, I found out that after a large meal, they will expel and shrink up. Almost all the water in them goes out and then they will fill up again Soon... So....To anyone new to anemones, myself included, let this be a lesson to ya.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:12 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

It took about 5 minutes for my percs to find their new home. They used to spend a lot of time near the top of the tank hiding around the outlet tube. They rarely leave home now.

I'd add a pic but I've reached my limit.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:16 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I'd add a pic but I've reached my limit.
Well, you can go to your profile page and go to your upload control box and delete some of your attatchments, or you can upload to the gallery (you have an additional 1mb of space there) and link to the pic using the IMG tags, or another option might be to increase the amount of your upload quota via the AquariumAdvice Alumni program.

Old 05-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

More pics

http://marks-aquaticlife.com/fishshots6.html
Old 05-22-2003, 02:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
love your site prettyfishes
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:16 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

True/Flase

Whats is the difference between true and false perculas? I want to get a pair, and so many are sold out and more expensive because of the movie, Finding Nemo. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:20 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

False perc = Amphiprion ocellaris
True perc = Amphiprion percula

Take a look at this thread and see if it helps you to tell the difference... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=4760

Old 06-26-2003, 12:38 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

So other than looks, is there any other difference? I read somewhere that the False (ocellaris) are just tank raised and have one less fin spine than the true percula. and that the true is from the wild.

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com