Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once you get your salinity stabilized with the help of your refractometer and regular pwc, your alk should go back on track. I would stop dosing until you have figured out how much it drop in a week. You may not even have to dose once you do your pwc religiously.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I do 5 gallon water changes every week.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you take the parameter readings of your new saltwater before pwc? Just to verify the alk content.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know where to do from here. I've done two to three water changes using Caribsea boxed water. I did not test it yesterday, but on friday tank 1 was 8.5, tank two was 8. tested it today, tank 1 was 8, tank 2 was 7. why is it being used up so much? I am dosing nearly every day with Elos KH and buffer. I am also still using the Elos KH test kit. The only thing I have added to each tank as a GFO reactor. Could this be causing the KH swings?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
I don't know where to do from here. I've done two to three water changes using Caribsea boxed water. I did not test it yesterday, but on friday tank 1 was 8.5, tank two was 8. tested it today, tank 1 was 8, tank 2 was 7. why is it being used up so much? I am dosing nearly every day with Elos KH and buffer. I am also still using the Elos KH test kit. The only thing I have added to each tank as a GFO reactor. Could this be causing the KH swings?
The GFO does lower alk. You might have to increase your dosage to maintain the right level. You also need to know the dkh of new salt water before pouring in. Some salt mix are just below 8. At 7 it is still acceptable which is the neutral level. If you can maintain it at 8 that would be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New member with a question about my Dunkins. Bought a five-headed frag a year ago and they grew a lot and added several new heads. Then I lowered salinity to fight ich but have brought salinity back up several months ago. They seemed to be fine but recently, the heads have started one by one to not extend and then die. I feed them sometimes with a dropper full of brine shrimp or myses. Can't give you many parameters because I don't have test kits at the moment and am too broke to buy any right now. Salinity: 1024, temp.: 78. I have a canister with nitrate remover beads, carbon, a power head for circulation, and a Aquaclear for additional filtration. Compact lighting. Other corals like mushrooms seem fine and are budding new heads. I thought it might be too much flow and moved them to a quieter spot yesterday. More water changes or what do I need? Any reply would be gratefully appreciated by this Texan. Thanks, Eddie McMinn
Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
The GFO does lower alk. You might have to increase your dosage to maintain the right level.
Which dose do I need to increase?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Increase Elos KH. I'm not sure what you mean by the other buffer since Elos KH is also a buffer. If PH is low try making more surface agitation. You may not dose Calc if it is within 400.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoot View Post
New member with a question about my Dunkins. Bought a five-headed frag a year ago and they grew a lot and added several new heads. Then I lowered salinity to fight ich but have brought salinity back up several months ago. They seemed to be fine but recently, the heads have started one by one to not extend and then die. I feed them sometimes with a dropper full of brine shrimp or myses. Can't give you many parameters because I don't have test kits at the moment and am too broke to buy any right now. Salinity: 1024, temp.: 78. I have a canister with nitrate remover beads, carbon, a power head for circulation, and a Aquaclear for additional filtration. Compact lighting. Other corals like mushrooms seem fine and are budding new heads. I thought it might be too much flow and moved them to a quieter spot yesterday. More water changes or what do I need? Any reply would be gratefully appreciated by this Texan. Thanks, Eddie McMinn
There is a button below the forum page "New Thread". It will allow you to post a question or any problem you have. You can copy and paster what you wrote here.

Tags
symptoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Coral | green algae »