Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-16-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
syphon vs utility pump, drain

I'm trying to make my new SW tank as low maintenance as possible. I figure the easier it is to do things like water changes, the more likely I will be to do them.

I'm planning to plumb a line from my RODI pressure tank into the stand, and build a very small sink (a 5x5 box screwed to a wall with a garden hose on the bottom leading to a basement sink) to drain a syphon into. I'll put a valve in the syphon line to keep it primed and allow for quick draining.

I'm also thinking of semi-permanently installing a 5 gal jug to use for water changes. I like the idea of marking the tank and just draining down to that level. I'll probably want to mount a very small pump to bring the water up to the tank as I won't have a sump for a while. I may also stick another very small PH in the jug itself to mix SW for future use.

What pumps would work well for this? I don't care about flow.. in fact slower would be better. Should I valve it to regulate flow or just find the smallest pump possible?

54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
try a ph for a pump. I don't know what the reduction of flow would be for your head height.
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com