T-5 lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vsnsofadrgn

Aquarium Advice Addict
is the wattage on T-5 lighting differ form power compact? i ask because i found 2 54w plus fixture for a good deal on ebay (its states that it is for reef tanks in the description, but i thought i would ask here)... is this adaquate for a 55 that i would like to have low light corals in??

Yes, lower power-consumption, higher output. That system might be sufficient for your tank, depending on what corals you have an how deep and wide the tank is.

What type ( 6700k 10,000k actinic ect ) of bulbs are they? Depends on that as well.

um, theres 108w total which i configure to 1.96 wpg.. i dont have any corals but i would like to get some in a few months, so hence the lighting upgrade. i would like to keep mushrooms, zoos, and maybe xeina and thats it.... it would be sweet if it was ok because its right in my budget, plus free shipping...

edit: jsut checked sight and this is what it says "You have your choice of bulb configuration; 12000K or Blue Actinic"
the other option is 260w power compact....

I think one of the big misnomers of ANY light is the wattage rating. If a bulb is rated at 80 watts that simply means it draws 80 watts of current. It doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the lumen output. Some bulbs are more efficient than other in regards to current draw and lumen output.

Having said that, I have T-5's and they seem to run really hot.

i have t5's on my 220 and wont go back. the light that comes from these things are unbelievable.

vsnsofadrgn,

What brand of lights are they? It sounds like the coallife slimlines...if so I swear by them. I have 4 fixtures on my 90g. As for comparing them I roughly compare a 54w 48" fixture to a 130w pc. Not sure what you are looking ay paying, but I get them around here for $52 at LFS.

With 2 fixture on a 55g you could do all but hard corals and clams. Check out "my info" all these corals are doing great with the exception of the brain which has receeded a bit.

Good luck,

are the bulbs really good for 2 years, or should i change them every year like pc lights? btw, ive ordered them, YAY!

Back
Top Bottom