T-5 lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been thinking of switching to T-5 lighting from the PCs that I have now. I was wondering what kind of results people have been getting from this kind of lighting and whether or not its worth it. The reasons for switching are less heat and less wattage per lumen and less bulb replacement cost because they last longer and are cheaper.

I love mine! Once I took off the canopy, I got more gas exhange, my pH is good. They really look nice. I got the nova extreme 48" 216W ones.

what are you waiting for, I just got mine Monday and I should have done this first... WOW,WOW and did I say WOW.... 8)

Hey are you guyz really throwing out your PC's? For those us us down here in the dimmer light, just thinking about getting into PC...sounds like we've missed the boat.

Dave

Anyone have pics of PC vs the T5?

Mine was in the canopy, I would have to dig it out of the attic, hook it up and take the pic! Maybe one of the folks that just got theirs might be able to do it.
Scottm, you are using PC right, and thinking about getting the T5s, right?
Any chance you can take a before/after pic?

Where did you all purchase them if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinkin' about switching to T5 from PC myself.

Dr.Nate said:
Where did you all purchase them if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinkin' about switching to T5 from PC myself.

I bought mine from premiumaqutics dot com they price matched Drs Foster and Smith, mine is the 8 x 54 version...

The true power of T5HO bulbs is achieved when using individual reflectors for each bulb. The Nova has one reflector for all bulbs, instead of individual reflectors for each bulb. That cuts down on it's effectiveness. A better unit, although a bit more expensive, with individual reflectors:

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104192.html

That unit has 4 bulbs like the Nova. They also have 6 and 8 bulb units in the 48" size. Here's a thread that shows what T5's with individual reflectors can do for you:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=728429

WOW. I'm definitly getting T-5 now. I couldn't find any of the tek lights in 30" though. I'll have to work on building a hood so I can work with the 24" kits.

Does anybody know about the Coralife T5 fixtures? Its all my LFS can get in 30".

heres before and after.......... sorry if its hard to tell in pics, they really dont do it justice...

i was talking to my lfs and he doesnt like t5s

said that they loose 40-50% of luminens in 4-6 months. which means major $ on bulb changes since t5 bulbs are about $20+ each.

i have been looking into them and now rethinking either PC or MH

Back
Top Bottom