t5 lighting and LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgraz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok well after some suggestions I have decided not to get individule reflectors for my lights current lights Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting. I am looking into upgrading the light itself. That may take sometime though. As I am also considering a larger tank. In the meantime though I have been told that I could handle most LPS, mushrooms, and polyps. What are your thoughts on this? I have been considering for example Hammer, candy cane, and torch corals, possibly brain. I already have mushrooms and ricordea both doing well, and 2 short tentacle plates that are well also. What does everyone think?

I kept all those things in my previous tank that was lit by an odyssea 4 bulb unit. The brain i had actually bleached out due to the lighting but everythng else really thrived.

That is exactly what i wanted to hear. Well except for the bleached brain. My tank is pretty deep 24" I really wanted a clam also but I'll have to wait on that. Im hoping to get out this weekend to find my first 1 or 2 corals Place by me a a buy 1 get second at 1/2 price and it appears that they dont raise their prices for the event.

How many t5 bulbs are you running and how many gallons is your tank? HO T5 lighting is perfect for LPS. I used them till I started getting into SPS and grew lots of LPS.

lighting

i have two six lamp t5 fixtures over my 180 for two years now all lps growing like crazy.torch,hammers,exenia,mushrooms,palys,zoas,ricordia you get the idea.love these lamps.

All im hearing is exacttly what I want to hear. By the way would I benifit by upping the daylights from 10,000K to 12,000K.

I don't see a "benefit" per se to in switching to 12k other than the color. The 12k will get rid of any yellowish hue from the 10k bulbs. I run ATI aquablue specials they are at 12k spectrum and I couldn't live without them. lol

Right now my biggest problem is finding 18" bulbs to upgrade the stock odyseea bulbs. They seem to be very few and far between. So if I was to include 12k bulbs mabye that would open up more options. It did not. Darn 22" tank. 2 more inches and i would have been fine, just 2 more inches.

Since you live in NJ you could go to Hidden Reef. Its in fairless hills PA or very close to it. go to thehiddenreef.com

Ummm I'm actually on my way there now. Hoping against hope they have my my CPR fuge I ordered yet. Why did you want me to go there

Back
Top Bottom