T5 lighting for coral reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have already purchased the light, yes you can maintain most corals with a T5, with good bulbs, as long as it is T5 HO. If you are yet to buy a fixture, look into LED's, as you can get a light for about $150 shipped that is dimmable.

2 t5ho will suffice for softies such as zoas mushrooms and leathers. I would say 4 minimum for higher light corals such as sps and lps. This is dependant on the tank depth though.

Take in to consideration that replacing the bulbs just one time will cost you almost as much as buying the led fixture and you'll never have to replace a bulb for years where you'll have to replace the t5's a few times a year. Also you'll be able to keep whatever type of coral you want with the led's

Take in to consideration that replacing the bulbs just one time will cost you almost as much as buying the led fixture and you'll never have to replace a bulb for years where you'll have to replace the t5's a few times a year. Also you'll be able to keep whatever type of coral you want with the led's

Depending on the type of LED fixture of course. Many of the easily available ones are useless for a reef. There is also the effects of the light to take into consideration. I personally don't like LEDs for fresh water tanks although they are great for a reef.

This was my first reef in a 37g bow front that had Ho t-5 s 4 bulbs
I've since upgraded several times both tanks and lights
img_2895197_0_88c71a6f34d74acaabe9639b62d11792.jpg

I so miss this tank

You can get a dimmable blue/white light that can support any coral for far less than $300. I think $130-$170 is around going price with shipping..

Only if you get lucky on a bid. They usually run closer to $120.. I've been keeping an eye on them for the past couple weeks.

Amazing how the market is with these. I see them for upwards of 600 bucks and as low as 120. I just threw an offer at one of them. I'm not paying any more than 100 shipped.

Back
Top Bottom