T5 lighting for livestock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 4 T5 lights. What corals and invertebrates would do well with this lighting and what should I avoid?

t5HO? Individual reflectors? These things make a HUGE difference in the livestock you can keep.

I got the same setup with 2 blue and 2 White with reflectors and all corals been fine in my tank

Reflectors really make a big difference in t5 set ups. For instance a ebay special odyessea fixture 4 x t5 48" fixture has a single reflector and is suitable for most soft corals and LPS but it wont support the more light demanding sps (this is with good husbandry) yet a wavepoint or noveextreme fixture with individual reflectors of the same size and wattage will easily support some if not most SPS. Thats why I ask.

What light is it? Brand etc. and what do you want to keep and i think the community will be able to tell you yes no or maybe on your plans.

It is the odyessa 4 x T5 48" with relectors and 2 moonlights. Just wondering if that is enough light to keep most corals and invertebrates. Not sure what my plans are yet. Just wondering what I should avoid so I not wasting money buying a lot of "pretty stuff" that won't survive without the proper lighting.

I had the same fixture for a bit. Just stay away from SPS for sure. LPS corals will do just fine along with any softies. A few SPS may work out like things from the montipora family. I had good luck with digitata it just never colored up the way i wanted it to under my odysea fixture. A lot of people will knock the brand because it used to be a fire hazard... not so much now a days. depending on how you have your LR situated (tall rather than wide) You may be able to get some SPS close enough to the light. When the bulbs go bad in 6 months they do a GREAT job at growing hair algea so when it comes time buy some nicer bulbs look around at others opinions for colors to get. I do see most people go with 1 indigo sun 2 uvl super actinics and something in the 10k range for the last bulb. Gives you that deep oncean color and will have added benefits of higher PAR ratings than your stock bubls.

Back
Top Bottom