T5 tube replacement time and type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm coming up to six months on my current light fixture (Aquatic Life T5) and was wondering about when and what to replace the tubes with. I recently read an article that said that most t5's lose some effectiveness over the first 3 or 4 months but then keep that level for the next year+. Just wondering what the consensus is? Also I guess even though you switch brands you have to keep the wattage the same? Should you replace all whites and blues or whites then blues a month later? Any other hints...

Thanks...Steve

T-5's will last 12-18months before they really need to be replaced. When you do replace them they must be the same wattage because the fixture ballast is set to accept that type/wattage bulb. It may be a good idea to replace the bulbs a week apart (one new bulb per week). Whites or blues doesn't matter as much. Especially if your bulbs are particularly old. This helps give your coral time to adjust to the higher amount of light produced by new bulbs.

I should also mention that if you don't have coral and this is a fish only tank T-5 will last much longer then 12-18 months. They just lose some of their power and the spectrum of light tends to shift. Since neither of those matter for fish you can just replace them when they burn out.

Back
Top Bottom