T5 vs PC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

Does T5 lights penetrate deeper than PC? For various reasons, I can not get MH's, of it looks like T5 are the next best solution. I am planning (again) to upgrade from my 37 to a 75.

Specifically, I am looking at the Current Nova T5 lighting fixture with 8 54w T5 lights vs the Current Orbit 4x96 PC.

I know that people say that the T5's look a little better. I know its hard, but could anyone attempt to discribe the difference. I have never seen a reef lit by T5's in person.

Thanks

John

Check my gallery. I have the Nova extreme, but only the 316Watts and mine is not a reef, but you can get a general idea. 2nd pic is my full shot.

Go with the t5 bulb last longer, so are cheaper in the long run. And 8-54 watt bulbs produce more light then 4-96 watt bulbs. More watts will light tank better.

Does T5 lights penetrate deeper than PC?
Not really. They are slimmer and more compact allowing room for more bulbs which means more WPG. Good T5's also have better reflectors which means less wasted light. VHO, PC, and T5's are all fluorescent lamps. It's more of a personal preference/needs. FWIW I like MH best followed by T5's or VHO's. I'm not a fan of PC's. T5's and VHO's just look more aesthetically pleasing to me. HTH

Keep in mind, the Nova extreme does not have individual reflectors for the full effect of T5 lighting....

Keep in mind, the Nova extreme does not have individual reflectors for the full effect of T5 lighting....

really, seems odd.

Also, I was reading that it has 2 power cords and 2 power switches. Do they control the actinic and white lights seperately so you can create dawn/dusk effects? If so, how does the moon lights work?

FYI, your tank looks great. What are the dims of the 55? 48x13x20? I am still debating between a 55/60 and a 75. i really like the dimensions of the 75, 48x18x20?

Thanks

John

I believe it has a power cord for the regular lights, one for the actinic, one for the fans and one for the moon LEDs. I leave the LEDs on all the time, the other lights "cancel" out the moonlight. I think the dimensions are 48x12x20, or close to it. I would go for the bigger tank.
The 55G is kind of narrow. I noticed this when I put a huge piece of LR in it, also this was brought up in a post and I got to thinking about it....go for the bigger! LOL!

def go for the 75, i have a 55 and it is too narrow! im getting the upgrade (72 bowfront) for xmas! (yay)

john0087 said:

really, seems odd.

Also, I was reading that it has 2 power cords and 2 power switches. Do they control the actinic and white lights seperately so you can create dawn/dusk effects? If so, how does the moon lights work?

FYI, your tank looks great. What are the dims of the 55? 48x13x20? I am still debating between a 55/60 and a 75. i really like the dimensions of the 75, 48x18x20?

Thanks

John

I have the 432w version and yes there are only two switches... If you are going to put this unit on a timer then the timer will control all the lights including turning the moons on and off...

Thanks

John

I have the 8x54w on my 75 and love it- wow very bright. The 2 cords and switches are for the white/blue lights. Actually there is three cords- the moonlights are on a cord that turns on when plugged in.

Back
Top Bottom