Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here are a few more shots. Keep in mind, my tank is dirty and the screens on top are blocking some of the light...

Actinics:

Actinics again. I think it's 420's and 460's? At work- forget.

All lights on again, but I really do miss my canopy. Can I have the lights on the top glass?

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
If it were me I'd leave it just how it is in the pics but I'm not a big canopy guy.

I would just turn the light on for 3 or 4 hours a day for a week and up it by an hour every week until you're at your desired light schedule.
staring at the sun for just 2 hours as opposed to an entire 8 hours, and your still blind. i think you have the right idea with the screen method. that is a considerable light increase.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
staring at the sun for just 2 hours as opposed to an entire 8 hours, and your still blind. i think you have the right idea with the screen method. that is a considerable light increase.
Just one of the ways I've heard of acclimating new lighting, I see your point though.

Is hanging the fixture an option? I've heard of hanging the fixture high off the tank and slowly lowering it down to the desired height. Could also eliminate the blinding light from your view on the couch by hanging it a few inches off the glass.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
Is hanging the fixture an option? I've heard of hanging the fixture high off the tank and slowly lowering it down to the desired height. Could also eliminate the blinding light from your view on the couch by hanging it a few inches off the glass.
I've thought about a hanging fixture, but I have such a nice matching canopy with the tank, I'd like to use that. You can see it in my avatar
<--

But my canopy won't fit with the legs. I'll just have to modify it somehow. I keep asking if I can just lay the lights on the glass tops, but no one has answered yet I'm sure I'll figure it out though.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would go with trying to modify the canopy to hold the fixture.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
can't you suspend the fixture to the inside of the canopy and delete the legs?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can't suspend the fixture to the inside of the canopy, because the front of the canopy lifts up and over (on top of itself), so you can get into the top of the tank.

Hmm...but you know what, it might work. I think the front 40% of the canopy lifts up and over on itself, so I could theoretically hang the fixture inside of the canopy in the center of the canopy.

I'll take a look at it when I get back home. I think that might work. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like it could be done. Just hang it like you would from the ceiling, only from inside the top panel of the canopy.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So what exactly is your screen idea?

I only ask because I'm also going to be getting a significantly stronger fixture shortly after christmas.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the screen idea is definitely not my idea, but it works like this:

You cut out and lay a number of layers of screen along the top of your tank (along, and on top of a glass hood). I have 3 layers, but I think 5 might be better.

You place them all on top of each other and they act as a filter for your new lights. Since I went from a coralife cf lighting system at 265 watts total to an 8-bulb 80 watt a piece fixture (640 watts total)- this large increase in watts and lumens would shock my tank inhabitants, stress the fish, bleach out coraline (and any corals, but don't have any yet), and could flare up nuisance algaes. I want to make sure this doesn't happen, so I only use actinics for the first few days, for less time during the day.

Then, gradually, I increase the use of actinics over days untill a full 8 hrs, then the 10000K lights with increases every day of 2 hrs a day until 8 hrs, then 10 hr actinic/8 hrs 10K and then peel off one layer at a time of the screens (one every 3 days).

This could be overkill, but why hurry things? That only gets me into trouble.

This is my way- everyone does it differently. I would do your own research, ask questions, and come up with your own solution. Every tank is different.

Tags
125 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com