T5's I just got for my 125 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

Well I just bought some lights as an 'impulse buy'. Typically, my 'impulse buys' aren't too smart, but I couldn't pass this one up.

I was holding out to buy some lighting for my 125gal tank. It's been FOWLR for almost 2 years, and since it's doing so well, it's time to jump to REEF! I was actually waiting to get LED's, or was really looking to buy a new T5 fixture, possibly 8x39watt. But I have this Craigslist app that someone else on here suggested and it pinged me when a guy was selling his T5 fixture for $115!

It's an 8-bulb 80watt per bulb fixture. So that's 640 watts, wow. I had a coralife lunar aqualight 48" 4x65 watt light fixture from my old 55gal on my tank for the last 2 years. And now I have this WHOPPER of a light emitting heat & light.

So my question is this- I don't want to shock my tank with so much light at once. I've cut some screen and put over the tank (3 layers of it). And I plan on only using actinics for 2 to 3 days, then putting all the lights on after that. Then I'll remove each layer of screen every 3 days or so.

1.) Does this sound like a good plan, or do you think this will still shock my system?

2.) Is it okay to lay the light fixture on the glass top I have instead of using the "legs" to hold up the light? It won't fit in my cabinet top with the legs on it. But if it were laying on the glass, it will.

Bad photos from phone but here you go:

Before:
img_1683035_0_460074391b6dc5483cdf76b2376d1dc6.jpg

After (all lights):
img_1683035_1_377a9583af256ce369923e3801bbb481.jpg

Actinic:
img_1683035_2_d4a11492e73b9ef53a65ffd5e4198a87.jpg

Last edited:
Killer lights!!! I got the Solarmax extreme T5 4 bulb for my fresh water and love it!

Good luck with the light!! :)

If it were me I'd leave it just how it is in the pics but I'm not a big canopy guy.

I would just turn the light on for 3 or 4 hours a day for a week and up it by an hour every week until you're at your desired light schedule.

If it were me I'd leave it just how it is in the pics but I'm not a big canopy guy.

The only issue I have with how it is currently set up is that when I sit on the couch, it's BLINDING! Makes the whole room glow, where the canopy looked nice, and kept the excess light in the tank only.

I have the same problem. So I ordered the canopy to match. It will cut back on glare and look nice and finished.

Ahh I see. Is that the aquaticlife 8 bulb fixture by chance?

No, it's not. Funny you mention that though, as that is the fixture I was going to buy brand new. This one is 2 years old, from Catalina, and does not have cooling fans, or 'actual' individual reflectors (it has a reflector bent and folded, surrounding each light). Not exactly what I had wanted, but for $115, I'm not complaining. I purchased this until I can get LED's. I'm going to switch out the bulbs for ATI or Giesemann bulbs.

If I'm able to lay the light fixture down on the glass top of the aquarium, I can then put it into my canopy. Not sure if it's a good idea to lay on top of the glass so close, though.

The only issue I have with how it is currently set up is that when I sit on the couch, it's BLINDING! Makes the whole room glow, where the canopy looked nice, and kept the excess light in the tank only.

Same thing.. built a canopy, problem solved!

Great pickup! $115 is killer. lol Glad you like that app, I've been hawking it on this site for some time, it's how I get my killer deals too. :-D

Here are a few more shots. Keep in mind, my tank is dirty and the screens on top are blocking some of the light...

img_1683620_0_db874a34039950bcb8a0bbce119f1c22.jpg

Actinics:
img_1683620_1_c4e7c821c9c9e9ee840443a4da5c3dfd.jpg

Actinics again. I think it's 420's and 460's? At work- forget.
img_1683620_2_ec15e78def6616b80854842092971541.jpg

All lights on again, but I really do miss my canopy. Can I have the lights on the top glass?
img_1683620_3_e267d3153010a73657b0cb82e1cab69d.jpg

I would just turn the light on for 3 or 4 hours a day for a week and up it by an hour every week until you're at your desired light schedule.
staring at the sun for just 2 hours as opposed to an entire 8 hours, and your still blind. i think you have the right idea with the screen method. that is a considerable light increase.

mr_X said:
staring at the sun for just 2 hours as opposed to an entire 8 hours, and your still blind. i think you have the right idea with the screen method. that is a considerable light increase.

Just one of the ways I've heard of acclimating new lighting, I see your point though.

Is hanging the fixture an option? I've heard of hanging the fixture high off the tank and slowly lowering it down to the desired height. Could also eliminate the blinding light from your view on the couch by hanging it a few inches off the glass.

Is hanging the fixture an option? I've heard of hanging the fixture high off the tank and slowly lowering it down to the desired height. Could also eliminate the blinding light from your view on the couch by hanging it a few inches off the glass.

I've thought about a hanging fixture, but I have such a nice matching canopy with the tank, I'd like to use that. You can see it in my avatar
<--

But my canopy won't fit with the legs. I'll just have to modify it somehow. I keep asking if I can just lay the lights on the glass tops, but no one has answered yet :whistle: I'm sure I'll figure it out though.

I can't suspend the fixture to the inside of the canopy, because the front of the canopy lifts up and over (on top of itself), so you can get into the top of the tank.

Hmm...but you know what, it might work. I think the front 40% of the canopy lifts up and over on itself, so I could theoretically hang the fixture inside of the canopy in the center of the canopy.

I'll take a look at it when I get back home. I think that might work. Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like it could be done. Just hang it like you would from the ceiling, only from inside the top panel of the canopy.

So what exactly is your screen idea?

I only ask because I'm also going to be getting a significantly stronger fixture shortly after christmas.

Well the screen idea is definitely not my idea, but it works like this:

You cut out and lay a number of layers of screen along the top of your tank (along, and on top of a glass hood). I have 3 layers, but I think 5 might be better.

You place them all on top of each other and they act as a filter for your new lights. Since I went from a coralife cf lighting system at 265 watts total to an 8-bulb 80 watt a piece fixture (640 watts total)- this large increase in watts and lumens would shock my tank inhabitants, stress the fish, bleach out coraline (and any corals, but don't have any yet), and could flare up nuisance algaes. I want to make sure this doesn't happen, so I only use actinics for the first few days, for less time during the day.

Then, gradually, I increase the use of actinics over days untill a full 8 hrs, then the 10000K lights with increases every day of 2 hrs a day until 8 hrs, then 10 hr actinic/8 hrs 10K and then peel off one layer at a time of the screens (one every 3 days).

This could be overkill, but why hurry things? That only gets me into trouble.

This is my way- everyone does it differently. I would do your own research, ask questions, and come up with your own solution. Every tank is different.

Back
Top Bottom