T8 v.s. T5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 29 gallon reef tank. I have a couple of questions. The lights are 30". First, how much T5 daylight in wattage should I have? I have a dual T5 fixture Second, I have a T8 fixture I want to use for the actinic. Would that be suitable for the tank?

2 T5 daylights and 2 T8 actinics, would be sufficient on a 29g, for any soft corals or LPS. Not sure about exact wattage of these bulbs, but it would roughly give you 100 watts.

IF its a t5 ho fixture I dont think you even need the t8 fixture its just wasting electric. I have a 29 gal with a dual t5 ho with one 10k and one actinic and I keep leather, brain, xenia, zoas, mushrooms,candy cane, hammer.

Thanks for the input. I just thinking about having a separate fixture for the lower light one hour before and after the daylights. Thats why I was wondering about the T8 I have.

IMO, more light is almost always better, if you've got it, use it. :). Especially if it will allow you to have a dawn and dusk effect. I feel it's better for your stock, because it eases them into and out of the light, and it gives you a different look for viewing your tank.

Back
Top Bottom