Tahitian Moon Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking today, About how beautiful stark colored corals and algaes would look against plain white sand... and how they would look againts Tahitian Moon Sand.

Going to change out the sand in the bottom of the SW tank with the next major update I do to the tank [ Hopefully that will include new lights and a sump/fuge ]

I was thinking, How would Tahitian Moon Sand work out in a SW tank? Just like regular sand, no? wouldn't cause any negative effects right?

Also, anyone that has SW tanks with Moon Sand.... Do you have pics I could see?:D

my friend uses thatian moon sand in his 20 gallon its to dark for my taste since no light reflects off the bottom like it would with brighter white sand. It dossent hurt his fish crabs or snails, there are no corals so i dont know if it would effect them no reason to think it would though. HTH

I do not like it. You would not think so but it actually looks dirtier faster than white sand.

There are photos around here somewhere, maybe in the members tanks section, of my 175 with tahitian moon sand.

I have Tahitian Moon Sand and like it very much. I like the look because it is different than what most have. I do not feel that it makes the tank look dirtier, it's just a different look.

tripper

tahitian moon sand has zero buffering ability...where as aragonite based sand DOES have buffering that it adds.

Personally, I wouldn't like black sand in my marine tank, because it's just not natural.

You could do the buffering with agregate in the sump/refugium, tho.

And Hara, you're black sand tank looks very nice. The colors, specially that red...thing [Sea Cuccumber?] just POP! :D

William said:
And Hara, you're black sand tank looks very nice. The colors, specially that red...thing [Sea Cuccumber?] just POP! :D

Thanks, I really like the looks of it. It is more maintenance tho.

I know there are black beaches, which is where we get the tahitian sand from in the first place (or at least the idea for it). But there are relatively few of these islands/reefs in nature.

I think a black sand tank could be pulled off successfully (meaning it looks good and is a healthy tank)....but I think it'd always look strange to me.

Back
Top Bottom