Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Taking a gamble with tangs

I wanted to get some input on adding a 2nd tang to my 125g - I currently have a Scopas tang who is very pleasant and gets along with everything else I have. Currently there is a Achilles Tang at the LFS and I would love to add him to my tank. I have looked around the web for some more detailed info on each type of fish and most have warned against keeping 2 tangs in the same tank.

I was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience and maybe some suggestions if I try to add the Achilles. Normally I wouldn't rock the boat, so to speak, with adding anything disruptive to my tank - but the Achilles is a beautiful specimen and I am tempted

Old 04-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The achilles tends to be an agressive tang. However, it is different colored and different body shape then your scopas so you may be okay in a 125. Adding the achilles last is a plus.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just make sure he is eating before you buy him. Some say not to qt this tang others say do it. So its up to you.
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just make sure he is eating before you buy him. Some say not to qt this tang others say do it. So its up to you.
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is always a tough decision. Most fish are ok with what is already in the tank but when you try and add anything that is when you see aggression. I have had fish that are so docile I couldn't imagine them doing anything but then I add something and whoa aggression city. Tangs in my opinion are the worst for this.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Achilles tang is a different genus... I'd add with caution but I would expect your scopulas to be the aggressor since he's established and not your achilles

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com