Taking a gamble with tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meola

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanted to get some input on adding a 2nd tang to my 125g - I currently have a Scopas tang who is very pleasant and gets along with everything else I have. Currently there is a Achilles Tang at the LFS and I would love to add him to my tank. I have looked around the web for some more detailed info on each type of fish and most have warned against keeping 2 tangs in the same tank.

I was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience and maybe some suggestions if I try to add the Achilles. Normally I wouldn't rock the boat, so to speak, with adding anything disruptive to my tank - but the Achilles is a beautiful specimen and I am tempted :)

The achilles tends to be an agressive tang. However, it is different colored and different body shape then your scopas so you may be okay in a 125. Adding the achilles last is a plus.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Just make sure he is eating before you buy him. Some say not to qt this tang others say do it. So its up to you.

Just make sure he is eating before you buy him. Some say not to qt this tang others say do it. So its up to you.

This is always a tough decision. Most fish are ok with what is already in the tank but when you try and add anything that is when you see aggression. I have had fish that are so docile I couldn't imagine them doing anything but then I add something and whoa aggression city. Tangs in my opinion are the worst for this.

Achilles tang is a different genus... I'd add with caution but I would expect your scopulas to be the aggressor since he's established and not your achilles

Back
Top Bottom