taking on the challenge-not alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishrfreinds

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as we all kno Upside-down jellyfish are pretty darn hard to take care of, they dont live that long (3-6 months) and mostly only aquariums attempt to care for them.

So why not this school year for my NOSB (national ocean science bowl) Club we take on the project caring for one of these. With my equipment, plans to build a tank for this purpose, and my knowledge & experience in SW husbandry we can observe and care for it.

huh isn't this a great idea? what are your guys opinions (please keep it somewhat positive lol)

I have to ask...why take on a project that is that hard to care for and may not live to see the end of the project?

I have to agree. The project is way too difficult. Why not try something that will be a success.

I never did said will fail? they naturally dont survive that long. It's challenge i think that we can take on. With all the college level books and questions we have to know.

Do you guys have something better for use to try? please tell me.

sounds fascinating, I would go for it. You are going to get typically conservative responses because most people on here are hobby aquarists. I'm not bad mouthing that, thats what I am and I am very conservative in what I buy and how I stock my tanks. However, you are trying to do scientific work here and given a real research goal I would think this could be informative and perhaps develop a methodology for more casual aquarists to keep animals like these.

Only thing I can think of as potentially engaging as this would be to attempt to cultivate corals from planktonic larvae. I read somewhere of this being successfully done and that it wasn't incredibly difficult, so if you have access to ocean water during the right time of year (I have no idea when that is) then that could be interesting.

Fish breeding is always interesting but inevitably will take longer then you have, my clown fish who I have had for 2 years have only just started breeding.....

I would go for something a little less complex. With so many students and different perspectives on things I don't know that a specific regimen could be orientated and followed precisely. I think the chance of failure on a project like that is quite high. But then again, what do I know, I'm a college drop-out! :) :lol:

Also, have you studied Kreisels?

like round bottom tanks? sorta. i google that word (kreisels?) and that gave me more on what im going to do. thanks.

I've decided to go head with the project as i can't think of anything as cheap and informative.

I'll keep you updated. Wish me luck :)

According to Toonen, he has kept Cassiopeia for 3yr intervals including reproduction. Monterey Bay Aquarium has also had great success in the past. Give the latter a call ;) In general, kreisels are often used for midwater jellyfish such as Aurelia. Cassiopeia would be best housed in 50g+ aquariums that have more length and width than height. Because they are photosynthetic, they will need an enormous amount of light (think sps) and close to double to reproduce. Even though they rely upon zooxanthellae, they will need regular supplemental feedings (enriched nauplii). As for filtration, a sponge filter works well since they tend to favor raised ammonia levels.

Another interesting animal to research would be the sp. of Sepia (Cuttlefish) including dwarf cuttlefish, Sepia bandensis.

Back
Top Bottom