Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Taking over a SW tank

Ok I need some help!!! I have a freshwater aquarium so I have a little experience with tanks, but none with salt water.

My supervisor was let go 3 weeks ago and it's become clear that he is not coming back for his tank / fish. He has a clown fish, and urchin, and 2 pink shrimp. We have been feeding them 2 1/2 tablets of frozen brine shrimp a week. I brought in my algae cleaner to help keep the sides clean, but I'm not sure what to do about the sand? It could use to be cleaned.

The tank is about 5 gallons of I had to guess. It has a built in filter that I think sucks in water from the bottom and shoots it out of the top. I'm also not sure how to clean that filter, and I'm not sure about making new salt water. I grabbed a container of stuff to make salt water and have added some already and they seem to be fine, but is there a kit I can get to test the salt content before adding it to the tank?

I know I need to get an API Chen kit, I just don't have the money at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Will it help if I take a picture of the tank? Also, how do I clean the sand? I think I remember him saying it was live sand at one point.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragile View Post
Ok I need some help!!! I have a freshwater aquarium so I have a little experience with tanks, but none with salt water.

My supervisor was let go 3 weeks ago and it's become clear that he is not coming back for his tank / fish. He has a clown fish, and urchin, and 2 pink shrimp. We have been feeding them 2 1/2 tablets of frozen brine shrimp a week. I brought in my algae cleaner to help keep the sides clean, but I'm not sure what to do about the sand? It could use to be cleaned.

The tank is about 5 gallons of I had to guess. It has a built in filter that I think sucks in water from the bottom and shoots it out of the top. I'm also not sure how to clean that filter, and I'm not sure about making new salt water. I grabbed a container of stuff to make salt water and have added some already and they seem to be fine, but is there a kit I can get to test the salt content before adding it to the tank?

I know I need to get an API Chen kit, I just don't have the money at the moment.

2 1/2 cubs is a lot of food for the stock in that tank
in no time you could see a bad algae out break with all those phosphates your adding to a 5 gal tank
you need to get a hydrometer to check salinity to much salt can kill and same with not enough , you should never go over 1.026 or under 1.021
most salt mixes will mix 1.025 when 2 cups of salt is added to 5g of ro/di water do not use tap water .
You said you you have a fresh water tank and brought in your algae cleaner
fresh water fish don't live in salt water !
your going to need a test kit .
when you top off just use ro/di freshwater
Old 11-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by fresh water fish don't live in salt water. I'm obviously aware of that. What does that have to do with an algae cleaner? It's a little magnetic thing that scrapes the sides.

And I think you misread the food. I'm breaking a tablet of shrimp in half and they are getting 1 half 2 times a week.

The salt water mix that I bought says the contains a dechlorinator in it so Tunis safe to use with tap water.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I also stated previously that I know a need a test kit. I don't have the funds at the moment. My boss was fired. This was unexpected .

Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If its Live Sand, I'd not recommend cleaning it, you can wave your hand across it to get the debre floating so your filter can grab it, but you can remove critters by vacuuming it. I've never vacuumed my sand before.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragile View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by fresh water fish don't live in salt water. I'm obviously aware of that. What does that have to do with an algae cleaner? It's a little magnetic thing that scrapes the sides.

And I think you misread the food. I'm breaking a tablet of shrimp in half and they are getting 1 half 2 times a week.

The salt water mix that I bought says the contains a dechlorinator in it so Tunis safe to use with tap water.

I thought you meant a fw algae eating fish

1/2 cube is more than enough per week 1/4 2X week

Your not talking about aquarium salt like this are you this is for fw

salt mixes for SW doesn't contain things to clean tap water water conditioners for fw only add crud to sw that will add to issues

if your sand has brownish crud most likely cayno bigger WC will help along with lights out , you could suck out as you do WC just try not to get the sand
Old 11-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is cayno bigger WC mean? I'm somewhat new to aquariums myself and I know nothing about salt water. This is what I am using for the water: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447180593.967253.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	280458

It says right on the jug to mix with tap water. I am limited on resources here. I know WC means water change, that I haven't done. I have no equipment here to do it. So it's something that will need to be purchased. There are no buckets or siphons or anything. All that was left here is the tank. Here is a pic of the tank:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447180862.990553.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	280459
The filter is on the side. I have no idea what kind it is.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That tanks a nightmare . I agree with reefing madness don't vaccum the sand. Yes mix that with tap as it states or even better use distilled or ro water. That looks like a fluval spec V, you should be able to get new filter media for it. I'd replace everything but a sponge if it has one.

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com