Tampa bay saltwater rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
L

Legmaker

Hello,
Quick Question. Is the 80lb of tampa bay saltwater's Liverock causing my 110g tank to read a high nitrate level. I have only a few fish and about 50lb of other live rock, A refugium with macro algae and a wet dry. I have been up and running for about 2 months. The tank cycled and now has bounced. Thier seems to be a constant white haze from the clams and mollusk that came on the rock. I have used ro water for water changes and cant seem to get the nitrate readings down. Please help!

Wewlcome to AA. How often are you feeding these few fish. Only feed every other day to get your nitrates down. Continue with water changes. Need to see some water test results. Have a good day

Tampa Bay Rock

I think i was feeding them too much. I have cut back to once a day. I took my water to my lfs and it tested different than my master test kit (forgot the name), She was using "Fast Test" with the little packets. Her test showed things were fine except the ammonia was a little high. I ordered a "Fast Test" kit for myself. That's strange that two kits can be so consistently different. The other question I had was the white particle debris that continually is being emitted from the clams and turkey wings that came on my tbs rock. I ordered one of those H.O.T. magnum Pro hob filters that you can put a pleated cartridge in. I am thinking that might do the trick. I was thinking that was what was making my nitrates high, but i guess it was my test kit.
Thanks, Ed

is it a newer tank???

I dont know if this goes the same with SW tanks.. but when you first start off a tank and if you accidently feed too much within the first few weeks.. theres always a nitrate spike...

The uncured rock is what caused the high nitrate. Start doing PWC every day and feed your fish every other day until the nitrate comes down.

I thought tbs rock was considered already cured. I picked it up at their location in tampa and had it in my tank within 2 hrs. it was packed in water. They said it didn't need cured because it was never out of water for more than a short period of time.

Then maybe might be due to the fragile organisms that may have died from the rock?

Back
Top Bottom