Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
Legmaker

Tampa bay saltwater rock

Hello,
Quick Question. Is the 80lb of tampa bay saltwater's Liverock causing my 110g tank to read a high nitrate level. I have only a few fish and about 50lb of other live rock, A refugium with macro algae and a wet dry. I have been up and running for about 2 months. The tank cycled and now has bounced. Thier seems to be a constant white haze from the clams and mollusk that came on the rock. I have used ro water for water changes and cant seem to get the nitrate readings down. Please help!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Wewlcome to AA. How often are you feeding these few fish. Only feed every other day to get your nitrates down. Continue with water changes. Need to see some water test results. Have a good day

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
Legmaker

Tampa Bay Rock

I think i was feeding them too much. I have cut back to once a day. I took my water to my lfs and it tested different than my master test kit (forgot the name), She was using "Fast Test" with the little packets. Her test showed things were fine except the ammonia was a little high. I ordered a "Fast Test" kit for myself. That's strange that two kits can be so consistently different. The other question I had was the white particle debris that continually is being emitted from the clams and turkey wings that came on my tbs rock. I ordered one of those H.O.T. magnum Pro hob filters that you can put a pleated cartridge in. I am thinking that might do the trick. I was thinking that was what was making my nitrates high, but i guess it was my test kit.
Thanks, Ed
Old 07-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to vTEC
is it a newer tank???

I dont know if this goes the same with SW tanks.. but when you first start off a tank and if you accidently feed too much within the first few weeks.. theres always a nitrate spike...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The uncured rock is what caused the high nitrate. Start doing PWC every day and feed your fish every other day until the nitrate comes down.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
Legmaker

I thought tbs rock was considered already cured. I picked it up at their location in tampa and had it in my tank within 2 hrs. it was packed in water. They said it didn't need cured because it was never out of water for more than a short period of time.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then maybe might be due to the fragile organisms that may have died from the rock?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How do you like the rock any pics?

Tags
rock, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com