Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2005, 04:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I added a yellow tang to my 75 gallon that was beginning to get some hair algae. He mowed through it. Now diatoms and cyano, I seriously doubt it would touch em.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I just tested my phosphates and they are testing so low I can barely read the color showing that they are even there.
Testing for PO4 can be a bit misleading. You can get a reading of close to zero and still have algae problems. This is because there is enough PO4 in the system to feed the algae, once the algae has consumed the PO4 it may not be detectable. Basically, the algae is exporting the PO4 faster then you can test for it. Test your source water and evaluate your feeding techniques as a way to eliminate PO4 getting into the system. Stop that and you can stop the algae.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks a lot guys, I tested my tap water and found a slight reading of P04. It was more detectable in the trace water from my tap than it was in my tank. I am thinking about investing in an RO unit to take care of this.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. Just make sure you invest in an RO/DI rather then a RO until. It is the DI portion that takes out the PO4.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am talking with a friend who owns a local fish store on getting the best deal on the Kent Marine RO/DI - I have read they are very good and reliable

Tags
algae, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com