Tang and tank size.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
75gallon is plenty of room for a yell. tang correct? I just recieved a 75gallon and want to keep one tang in there when I set it up. I just wanted to make sure he would not feel crammed in there (I have heard 50 is the minimum, but I dont want minimum, I want a fish who feels good). Also would geting 90g tank be any better? Only increase would be veritically. I like the shorter tanks for lighting reasons and access to the bottom of the tank without having to dive in haha.

A 75 is plenty of room for a yellow tang.

Also, I faced the same question and went with the 75 over the 90 because I didn't care if it was a taller tank. I do however wish I went with a reef ready or predrilled tank...

i just got a yellow tang hes in a 55g seems to be taking to the new tank quiet nicely

Most other tangs require larger tanks but the yellow tang is one that can be kept in a 55+ without any trouble.

I have a 4” yellow tang in a 55 gal as well and it seems quite happy swimming about constantly in and out of the lr. It also tends to stick to lower to middle of the tank so I think the higher tank would be kind of a waste unless you just like the look of it. My lfs jumps about $140 when going from the 75 to 90.

Make sure you keep enough nori around, they can consume quite a bit each day :D

OK cool, I dont know what Im giong to do about tank size yet. I really want the shorter tank mainly so I dont have to stick more of my arm into the tank for maintance. That and light will reach the bottom better on the shorter tank. Not sure what Im going to do yet.

Thanks for the help though!

Back
Top Bottom