Tang capacity??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azn_gq

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning on doing a mostly tang aquarium. Just recently upgraded to at 250 gallon from a 90 full reef. Is 8 tangs too many for that size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most likely it would be the case. The biggest issue with tangs is that they will get aggressive towards any tang that looks like it so it would be extremely difficult to get them to coexist as there aren't that many different body types of tangs.
The good thing with a tank that size is that it is open to almost whatever tang your heart desires. It would be up to you finding which ones you like and slowly adding them into the system, being fed lots of algae sheets to help lower aggression of course. Even with that, I wouldn't want to go over 4 tangs...depending on what is chosen as size, difficulty to care for, and aggression can be major players in this decision.

That's too many if you ask me, 4 or 5 tangs is enough for this...

I've only got 5 fish in my 240g 8' long tank.
Hippo Tang
Vlamingii Tang
Mimic Tang
Sailfin Tang
Mono Argentus
These guys get really big

Stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have three in my 125. They are best of friends. Yellow,yellow eyed Kole and scopus.

6218-albums6891-picture31662.jpg

I now have my stock. Yellow, Bariene, purple, sailfin, chevron, hippo and clown. They all get along great too!!

In my humble opinion, I would do what's right for the fish(s) rather than decorating desires. Tangs can live 20 years, as mine have, by understanding their needs. That means mixing the right surgeonfish and having a feeding plan. They are very aggressive to each other. And as we all know, stress kills tangs. So plan on some good tang sized caves and hiding holes so a fish can escape an attack. It is a waste of a good fish that isn't limitless in the sea for it to live just a couple of years. That's not success.

I now have my stock. Yellow, Bariene, purple, sailfin, chevron, hippo and clown. They all get along great too!!

My clown tang is so aggressive he has to live in my frag tank. I know that if I add him to the general population it could cause trouble. He was a rescue from a closing LFS.

My clown is the smallest of the bunch. So no one bugs him at all. Nor does he bug anyone. So far so good.

In my experience, clown tangs are the most aggressive of the tangs. I never had a good outcome with them. The last one I had was barely 4" when I sold him to a guy who had a predator tank. He thought it would get swallowed as soon as it was introduced, but 3 days later, he called me and told me it's relentlessly attacking all of his large predators.

I have a 3 inch Scopas Tang he is gentle as could be , But watch out if he is eating he turns into a monster , it takes him about 2 hrs before he calms back down , now almost all my fish learned to avoid him at feeding time except my domino , it's like he enjoys being ripped up or he is just that stupid , I hate this domino anyway been trying to catch him almost 2 years , I just don't like watching him get shredded up .

Back
Top Bottom