tang choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should I go with a yellow tang or kole tang for my 90 tank. I want the tang to eat the green hair algae on my rocks

i would get a kole tang i got one i love it real nice centerpiece fish

I'd go for the Kole or another bristletooth variety. I believe their softer mouth (hence the bristletooth name) makes them more likely to nibble at rock.

My yellow tang spends 99 % of his time nibbling on anything that looks like it might have something to eat...

I want a kole bad for my 75 but I am terrified that it will get ich. If I were you I would get the kole because it stays a little smaller although I think the yellow tang is way more attractive.

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but, if you want to combat hair algae, look elsewhere. The tang may help out, but you need to address your water/light first in order to beat the hair algae on your rocks.

Last edited:
I agree. Find the source and nip the algea in the bud. I still think as a tang that the yellow eyed Kole tang should do pretty good in that tank.

I did find the cause of the algae over growth, I had new lights that were running too long and I was overfeeding. The algae growth on the sand bed is all but gone. However, I still see some hair algae on a few of the rocks

+1 for the Kole tang. I have one in a 75 and I absolutely love that fish. No, he's not as pretty as a yellow tang, but every bit of the hair algae that was starting in my tank was gone within a week. And he is constantly picking on the rocks, glass, and sand. He also begs for food when I walk up to the tank and when he actually sees the food can he goes NUTS. My favorite fish by far!

Hinds, if you want one then get one! Mine had a small case of ich, and I took all my fish out and did about a 3-4 week QT with copper and all is well. I didn't go the recommended length because they were starting to get stressed out in the 20L (2 clowns, kole tang, and yellow watchman goby) so I put them back in the DT. I've seen a little flashing, but zero spots. Just feed food that has garlic and the ich will stay under control.

And if you've quarantined all your fish, do the same with the tang and ich won't be a problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom