Tang Compatibility.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well said. And there is a vast number of fish that are perfectly happy in whatever size system you have. I had my say. And I certainly only wish good luck to the poster and his fishes.

These tang discussions are always an amazing study in both fish and human behavior....unfortunately ,the fish we put into our tanks have no say so as to their fate , it all lies in reef keepers ability to understand the fishes environmental needs and then do the ethical thing,..which more times than not is not the case.
The " tang police" as is often referred to is not to just rial up a reef keeper trying to keep one in a smaller tank but is to try and maintain the longevity of the hobby.., tangs and other creatures are and will be getting harder and harder to " harvested" from the wild as more and more closures and regulations appear, so we all as reef keepers need to do everything we can ethically to preserve this privilege .
Anyone who has ever seen the tangs in their natural state on the reefs would never even think of housing them into something that would hinder them in any way,..tangs and other creatures are beautiful and amazing to keep and cherish. I'm not in any way trying to preach one way or another because you are going to do what you do anyways,..it's more of a study of human behaviouf ,.. Kind of like the signs in the park stating that ALL dogs must be on leashes,..but then there's the people who seemingly think that their dogs are exempt ,. Humans ! Gotta love'em

Well said, fish in there natural reef is amazing. I love when I see "CB" next to fish a tank. Healthier fish and so many advantages. Hopeful there is some major breakthroughs in breeding.

Hey guys! I decided not to get another tang for multiple reasons. The pain and aggravation of putting another tang was too overwhelming. I talked to one of the people at my LFS and he said there's a few tricks you can do to avoid any aggression between my new tang and my Sailfin. The tricks were to turn off the lights and feed the fish while he's in the tank so the fish are happy and full and not aware of the new tank mate. Another trick if the other trick doesn't work is the "Mirror Trick", I put a mirror up to the Sailfin and that he'll attack himself and will eventually stop bc he's banging his head against the glass. The last trick was to change the whole aquascape. I thought all these tricks besides the first one were ridiculous so bailed out. Besides the tank I purchased a Solar Fairy Wrasse, crazy in color, looks like a 3rd grader colored him.

My question with the Wrasse is, I put him in and he occasionally swims around and the Tang and my Leopard Wrasse scope him out without any aggression towards him but the Fairy Wrasse thinks otherwise and darts into my rock work and stays there the whole day. I'm on Day 3 with him and the same thing happened. What should I do?

Good choice on skipping the Tang and wonderful choice on the Wrasse. Those are great looking fish...probably one of my faves actually. A lot of fish take a few days to settle in. How is it doing now???

He's doing good, he sometimes disappears for a few hours and then shows up but he still thinks he's getting attack by the Sailfin but he's not, he's just scoping him out. He hides a lot in the rocks and occasionally swims.

I've got a yellow tang and sailfin tang together in a 150g tank.

Back
Top Bottom