Tang Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently, I have a Yellow Tang, a Niger Trigger, and a couple of Damsels. I saw a juvenile Naso Tang last night at my LFS. I amost bought him, but resisted the temptation because I wanted to check with you guys, as I always do, to make sure the Yellow and Naso would be ok together. If not, then I will most likely buy the Porcupine Puffer they had there as well instead. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
:?:

Mike

In my opinion its luck if u get it and they nip at eah other or they could be very peaceful and it would work out great.
Its just t he luck of the draw.

I have seen alot of yellows and naso's together. I had planned to do the same thing till I found out tangs are ich magnets! I'm not sure if I will do it or not now because of ich. I think they will be fine. :wink:

Its usually based on shape and on color. I want a purple tang, but am leary about it because I already have a yellow who has been in the tank for about 3 years. They are too close in shape to add a purple. BUT! I put a Vlamingi tang in there (shaped like a Pacific blue) and they get along great!

Thanks for your feedback guys. I will probably go with the Porcupine Puffer since the Naso is around the same size as the Yellow Tang I have. It is sooooo tempting though. I just love the Naso's!

Mike

Keep in mind that the puffer is not reef compatible, is semi-aggressive, and will eat inverts. Just for future plans. Here is what Live Aquaria says about it:
A 90 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium with a good protein skimmer is a suitable home. It may be aggressive at times, nipping the fins of tank mates and leaving a circular hole as its mark. It will eat invertebrates found in a reef aquarium. It has the ability, when threatened or scared, to inflate its body to almost twice its normal size. Parts of its flesh are poisonous if digested.

The Porcupine Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.

Iknow you have the 90g tank, and have probably done your homework on the puffer, but just in case I had to let you know. Good luck with whatever you choose, and keep us updated. :wink:

I always do my homework when it comes to selecting fish. I like to take my time, and pick the best fish I like rather than going out and getting one only to find out that the other fish don't get along with it.
Since this will be a FO tank, I wanted to make sure that what ever I get will be compatible with the Tang and Trigger. I really want an Angel, but I will wait until my tank is more mature before springing for that.
liveaquaria.com is the place where I usually buy everything. They are reasonable, and the write-ups on the fish are pretty accurate, so I depend on them for information as well. Thanks again for looking out for me.

BTW - I really want the Naso, but looks like it will require a 125G to live a healthy life. Looks like that one is out.

Mike

Speaking of liveaquaria.com, they are having a clearance sell on several models of Compact PC lighting. I'm thinking of grabbing some. 23" retro with light (65W) for $39.99. I would get and be all set with mounting them into my canopy and all. Just figured I would share in case anyone is in the market for these.

Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom