Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Tang eating to much?

Can a Sailfin tang eat TO much seaweed. I hear people just leave some in the tank all day long so they can eat at there own pace. But I think mine is getting a little fat heh. He loves the stuff , just keeps munching it down to no end.

Vindicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Fish will eat themselfs to death. Plus tangs can help reduce algea by picking at the rock.If over fead he will pick less . Then overfeeding means more waste.
As with any stock its best to have a mixed diet of meat and veggie. Use 4 or 5 or 6 type of food. As for nori or seaweed i would give it in small amounts. @ or 3 times a week and use a suction cup clip. As with any food you want them to have access to it for 3 to 5 minutes.

lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
I feed my two tangs nori/seaweed every other day when I am not feeding frozen. I leave the clip of seaweed up there for more than 3-5 minutes. In my opinion, since it is on the clip and not sinking to the bottom it is ok to leave it on there all day. And this gives them to opportunity to graze, which is what they do in the wild. If there is any seaweed left on the clip after 24-hours then I would remove it.... but they usually eat it all within a hour and I have an empty seaweed clip stuck to the glass.
Vindicator- How often are you refilling the seaweed? I think that would determine if it is eating too much or not. My guess is you should just put seaweed in there less often.
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I clip a half sheet of nori every other day and leave it there till it's gone. I have 4 fish picking at it (Sailfin tang, Foxface lo, Blue Hippo tang, and a coral beauty). The clowns sometimes take a nibble. It might be on the clip for a an hour or longer depending on large a chunk gets ripped off at a time. I also fold it so it looks like a finger football. There a thread here with pics of my folding the nori. How I feed Nori is the thread.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
I clip a half sheet of nori every other day and leave it there till it's gone.
I do the same exact same thing. Feed a variety of foods every other day and seaweed selects on the off days.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to mrrrkva
Tangs can eat you out of house and home. Make sure you limit what they eat. Just to add to the already good advice here. You can make your own food. I alternated NORI every 3rd day, and my mixture twice a week. (mixture of various fish, shrimp, nori, garlic, mixed in a blender) Than I froze it into a block about 1/4 thick and 5X8 sheet that I could break off what was needed.

Check out my webpage!!!! Click on marine life!

mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eating, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com