Tang food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if there is an Algea I can grow in my fuge. to feed to my tangs?I have feather,grape,and sea lettuce?(green lettuce looking algea)in a sump with 24/7 lighting.Can i feed these or should I look for other kinds?

The ones you have mentioned are caulerpa species of macro algae which are not very recommended food sources for herbavors except the sea lettuce (Ulva sp.). Caulerpa's will often contain natural toxins that can affect the health of fish over time. If available, I would suggest chaetomorpha, brush algae (Penicillus sp.) although slow growing or possibley red algaes (Gracilaria sp.). Those will be much more beneficial.

You may need to "prune out" a majority of the fern and grape though. They will compete with the newly added ones for nutrient and may result in their loss. The ones I mentioned are also a little less hardy than the caulerpa's in the beginning and should be acclimated similarly to an invert. They will react negatively to drastic changes in salinity, ph and temp. Once established though, they will do quite well.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom