Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterRick
The Ctenochaetus sp. tangs are all bristletooth varieties. Take a look at liveaqaria.com under tangs and look for this and bristletooth labels. These are all the smaller tangs I am aware of.
Yup i do like bristlenose tangs! Only need 70 gallons so that is up my ally

Old 04-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fact that the dimensions of the tank are not listed on that page is irritating.

The fact that the lighting is listed at 6x39W T5 HO gives me a context clue.

These are 3 foot bulbs. Based on the photo of the tank's hood with the bulbs installed, I think it's fairly safe to say this is a 3 foot tank. A 3 foot tank is not suitable for a tang IMO.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is true. It might be a little bit bigger then 3 feet wide though, i will figure out the length and get back to you on that haha if its not 4 feet or close then i dont know how i would feel putting a tang in there.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright the tank is roughly 39 inches long! Tang or no tang?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
The fact that the dimensions of the tank are not listed on that page is irritating.

The fact that the lighting is listed at 6x39W T5 HO gives me a context clue.

These are 3 foot bulbs. Based on the photo of the tank's hood with the bulbs installed, I think it's fairly safe to say this is a 3 foot tank. A 3 foot tank is not suitable for a tang IMO.
I looked at the link and the first fine print line in the specs I believe said it was 38 inches wide. That said it is small for a tang and I would suggest if you must have one of the smaller varieties of tangs you are going to have to resist the temptation to have more than a few small fish with it. No other grazers for sure. As I said my 72 bowfront is 4 ft wide and I consider it pushing with one small tang of the bristletooth variety. I have 80 lbs of rock in the tank and it is high quality very porous light rock and the reef is built on pillars and arches above the sand with a very small footprint. There is about 4 inches behind the reef and more of course in front of it and even then I feel it is still a stretch for the tang.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright thanks! Well i dont plan on having any other grazers, and my tank will not be overstocked, i assure you i will leave room on the front and back in case i do wan a tang later on. That will be when my tank is very established, peobably the last fish i will add, if i do want one. Thanks guys! I will only even CONSIDER bristletooth tangs
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Alright thanks! Well i dont plan on having any other grazers, and my tank will not be overstocked, i assure you i will leave room on the front and back in case i do wan a tang later on. That will be when my tank is very established, peobably the last fish i will add, if i do want one. Thanks guys! I will only even CONSIDER bristletooth tangs
Sound like a plan.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterRick
Sound like a plan.
On a side note, do you think this is a good tank? High quality? I have never seen one before and i am wondering if it would be a good upgrade for my fish thanks for all your help people!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
On a side note, do you think this is a good tank? High quality? I have never seen one before and i am wondering if it would be a good upgrade for my fish thanks for all your help people!
First I have no experience with the Red Sea tanks but did consider them. I talked with a few people who have them though and this was their thoughts.

Pros: Attractive and well built, all in one systems, Support was good

Cons: All in one system leaves little room for mods, tend to run on the hot side temp wise and needed a chiller-One guy proped the lid open and used a fan which created more top offs. Expensive.

Again this is not hands on info but I choose to buy a used system that I could build and modifiy to my wants. I picked up a 72 bow front Oceanic tank, stand and lots of equipment for under 100.00 of craigs list and put my money into good rock and upgrades.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

38" tank= essentially a 3' tank= not recommended for a tang of any kind IMO.

I worked at a shop that sold earlier models of these. We had one or two come back for electrical issues ("power center" failed and components that were plugged in didn't function properly- certainly disappointing for the high price of the unit). The good news is, customer service was responsive and replaced defective parts. I will say this was several years ago before this particular model was produced, so hopefully quality has improved.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6 gallon, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com