Tang growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trena

Aquarium Advice Activist
About how long does it take a tang to grow from juvenile size (3-5 inches) to adult size? Yellow yang, lavender tang, and a scopas tang

I did some research of my own since no one is responding. It seems I have less tan a year. Thanks anyway.

Don't be discouraged from the lack of comments in a half hour. You've sometimes gotta give it some time, but I commend you for doing further research on your own! There are many very knowledgable people that are very helpful. This is a great site, and you will certainly find great information!

Like all things...it varies by the conditions. Most tangs will get kind of stunted in growth and won't get as big as they would in the wild when in cramped conditions (something I am very much against, if you are going to house an animal, even a fish, it should be in suitable conditions). I have had yellow tangs that are over 5 years old in my 300 gallon that are just about 4" in diameter, less than half the size they get in the wild. Even though my tangs are very fat and happy, they don't have millions of gallons to swim around in. Tangs in commercial aquariums do get full size growth, so my only supposition is that it is water volume as much as anything else that sets the final size of the adult fish.

Sharks on the other hand and moray eels can get full size in even cramped environments, if they live, I am sure there are many more. But I think a tang that is a few years old is pretty much full grown. Any other suggestions folks?

I agree with all the above and i'll just add my tang story...
My purple tang is about 7 inches give or take ,,he's going on 9 or 10 years old ..I bought him when he was roughly 4-5 years old ,,he hasn't grown at all .. I think captive fish simply don't reach full growth potential and only grow for the first few years..

To echo what TLTGF said,don't get too discouraged from posts/threads that don't get responses ,,there is a lot of traffic on here and it has a lot of good informed people,but its tough to see them all

Welcome to AA

:thanks: You Found Us!

Sometimes I do a thread then go to sleep and then wake up with some replys!

Some fish usually grow to the size of the tank but could stunt there growth!

Tangs are beautiful fish wish I had the room to look after one!

melosu58 said:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/yellow-tang-in-a-55g-52207.html

I asked this question to someone who years ago was IMO the most learned person on the site. He was experienced in marine biology and SW aquariums. I asked him a question about tangs growing to the size of the tank. This was the answer I got.

Pretty much echoed what was said earlier in this thread. But it seems species related as far as how extreme the effect of crowding has on the animal and it's resultant size. While tangs will not get as big as usual, some fish can grow huge in a small tank.

Melosu58. Beautiful tank! What size is it? To others, I'm learning more and more. Will do more research before a purchase on the future instead of making impulse buys. So, I shouldnt add anything else to this tank? I will be getting a bigger tank before they can get uncomfortable. They're really small right now.

It`s an 125 gallon tank. Fourteen years of work. Hope all goes well on your tank.

If they can swim in a circle or at least a few yards with lots of nice hiding holes they will be okay. Mine didn't get real big but they are fat and almost frying size. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom