Tang - Heniochus Compatiblity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
From my research, it didn't look like I'd have any issues with a tang and a Heniochus diphreutes (black and white butterfly fish). My tang has been with us for about 6 weeks. I just added the Heni today. After about 15 minutes in the tank - my yellow tang is chasing him all around...not so much nipping at him (yet), but following him everywhere and tarting toward him every chance he gets.

Is this aggression normal for the tang at first - or do you think the Heni has too close a body shape to be kept with the yellow tang? I really didn't think this would be a problem, but maybe my particular tang is a little more territorial than normal?

Thanks all. If anyone's going back to the lfs - I'm sad to say, its the tang :)

- Skins

This aggression is normal for the tang. How long it will continue I do not know. Every fish is different. How big is the tank?

It's 110 gallons - 160lbs of live rock. Turned the lights on and it seemed far less aggressive. Will just keep an eye on it. The Heni doesn't really look like its in much danger if its just happening short term.

Thanks.

I had 2 heni's with my yellow tang. There was a small battle for the first few days, but they eventually got along great. Would share the nori clip together. I would wait it out.
Besides the heni's are very fast, a difficult target for any aggressor.

I was hoping you would jump in here Kurt. My only suggestion would be to think of adding a second heni. They are schooling fish and tend to do better in groups. They do get big so two or three in a 110 may be a bit tight after a while.

You know, I probably should have asked about the schooling before I put him in my main tank. I did research them and knew they schooled, but never came across anyone suggesting to get no less than two until now. It probably would be tight having 2.

The heni is a very cool fish - but, if he's not going to do well on his own should I return him? Should I try buying a 2nd? I don't really plan on getting too much more. All I have is the yellow tang, 2 clowns and a watchman. The heni is very small right now (I know they can reach 10 inches - and two plus the tang would be very tight). If it came down to it, what about returning the tang and grabbing a second heni?

- Skins

i have a powder brown tang and and heni close to the same size small right now and when i had them in QT (30 gallon) together for ich the tang would chase the heni after awhile. it looked like the heni was trying to school with the tang and he got annoyed and chased him but the heni was just as quick and then they would leave each other alone but the tang never nipped him or anything and when they are back in the 150 they don't bother each other at all. i think i would wait it out i bet they work it out.

Should I try buying a 2nd?
You could do that, I added mine at different times, they will get along well generally speaking.
I like tangs, but the Heni is one of the most friendly fish you can get IMO. You would get hours of enjoyment out of watching a small school of them. :)

Back
Top Bottom