Tang in a 45?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 45 gallon tank and was wondering if it would be ok to put a yellow tang into it. I have the bio capacity, wondering about size and health if I did.....I don't want to be cruel!

That would be cruel IMO. Tangs need swimming space. A 6' tank is preferred. Additionally, yellow tangs can be mean and with such a small area to roam, I'd see it becoming more agressive towards any other fish in tha tank. Also, the stress of such a small space can easily cause illness.

I would look at the dwarf angels. They are nice bright and active fish like the tangs but they will be much better suited to a tank that size. Flame angel and a lemon peel angel are some of my favorites. Lemon peels if you find a nice one are actually highlighter yellow in person. Pictures don't even close to do them justice.

Are corals being kept in this 45g?? If so, what type? Dwarf angels will often nip.

None yet, but hoping for it in the future, still relatively new tank.....what kinds are safest with dwarfs?

None yet, but hoping for it in the future, still relatively new tank.....what kinds are safest with dwarfs?

No guarantees with any type of angel. Pat... Would you agree that the Flame and/or the Coral Beauty would be alright if kept fed?

What other cool and interesting or pretty fish could I keep?

look at the fairy wrasses, clowns (not maroon clowns), cardinals, damsels, some gobies, some blennies, dartfish (firefish), dottybacks, filefish, hawkfish, hogfish, and jawfish. all of those must be researched to figure if they work for you and the rest of the tank mates. especially if you decide on having inverts.

Ok thanks! I will be sure to take a closer look, but they look good!

look at the fairy wrasses, clowns (not maroon clowns), cardinals, damsels, some gobies, some blennies, dartfish (firefish), dottybacks, filefish, hawkfish, hogfish, and jawfish. all of those must be researched to figure if they work for you and the rest of the tank mates. especially if you decide on having inverts.

You say this due to the aggresive nature correct? I have a Gold Banded one and it has to be the nastiest fish i've ever had. Especially with two bubble tips to defend.

I have two tangs in a 55gal (4ft) long tank. One yellow and one Desjardin Sail Fin but I will be moving them to a bigger tank. Right now they are only about 3-4 inches long. My yellow is very shy and not to aggressive compared to others yellow tangs that I have seen.

Ok....maybe when I upgrade I'll look into them again...

If you are keeping dwarf angels there is a risk that they will nip at coral. They seem to like soft corals and particularly yummy looking LPS coral. Some people suggest that feeding a bit more will help reduce the problem but there is never a sure bet. The reef safe wrasses are another good option since they are very active swimmers as well. Look at candy hogfish (Bodianus bimaculatus). They are another good choice.

Back
Top Bottom