tang in a 75gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
is a 75gal tank too small for a tang? if not, what kind of tang would be good for a tank this size?

According to "Marine Fish" by Scott W. Michael

Atlantic Blue Tangs
Kole Tangs
Yellow Tangs
Scopas Tangs

Can all work there are a few others but they IME wouldn't be good choices

el diablo, thanks for the link. the information helps me a lot with my decision.

moorish... i see you recommend Kole tangs. we have a lot of those in hawaii. i think i will try to catch one myself. believe or not, a lot of us native hawaiians eat kole tangs. ok, mine will just be a pet!

i went there last summer and saw manny great tangs, lots of convicts out there and some scarry lookin baracuda with a pink tail, and some beautiful wrasses, and triggers

I probably wouldnt fully trust liveaquarias tank size ratings. THey say you can keep a yellow tang in a 50....... :roll:

Lots of places seem to suggest that a Yellow Tang is fine in a 55.. Official websites.. LFS.. shops.. other owners.. people on forums..

Why wouldn't it be OK? I ask out of curiosity, and also the fact that I'm currently keeping one in a 55... :uhoh:

A tang would do pretty good in a 55.I had a few tangs in a 55 and they did great.I put them in my 110 and they are doing great.I have a Purple Tang,a Yellow Tang,a Hippo Tang,and a Light Brown Tang.

Just because it causes more stress to the fish when it doesnt have ample swimming room. I am not condeming anyone on this. I habe a Whitecheek tang coming today that is going in my 75g.

Tangs can get pretty big. I plan on jumping to a 90 or 120 within a year. Mine is medium size right now... I would say 3" long. I am not sure why people would say that a 55 is too small but a 75 or 90 is ok... a 75 is just a slightly (and very slightly) deeper tank than a 55 and a 90 is a 75 with a bit more hieght. If anything I would say a 125 long if you think a 55 is too small. Atleast they will have more swimming room there.

The general consensus on this site is that a tang should not be kept in a 55. It just is not enough room. If you were on RC im sure would get a lot more greif about it.

More water volume means more swimming room. A tang (those who have them know this) is a mover and a shaker. When they get large, a 55 gallon would be like us being locked in a very small room for life.
Also with a multiple tang situation the aggression will also increase.
RC has "tang police", it can get ugly. :wink:
Online retailers and many LFS will tell you its Ok to keep one in a 55. They want to sell fish and not everyone has 90 gallon tanks.

ok, looks like a 55gal tank is kind of the borderline. that said, do you folks think a 75gal tank is big enough for a tang?

Back
Top Bottom