Tang like fish for 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really like tangs but obviously tank size is an issue so what other fish are sorta tang like but suitable? Thanks in advance

Mystery wrasses are reef safe and could be ok in your tank. They are very colorful so if your looking for something striking, this might be the perfect fish.

I have a coral beauty in my reef...though I'd trade it in for another orange back wrasse ever since I stumbled upon one a week or 2 ago. Amazingly colorful reef safe wrasse.

I know I'll be the bad guy on this but I think the yellow eyed kole tang or one of the other bristle tooth tangs would be ok in a 55. They are rated for a 70 gallon tank and dont swim as much as the other tangs. JMO.

Do you think if I got it small I could keep it long enough for it to go into a bigger tank in a year or so

I had a yellow eyed kole tang in a 55 for seven years and then moved it into a 125 for the last 8 yrs. Im only talking about the bristle tooth tangs.

Yes. Just remember they are herbivores when it comes time to feed. That is a good choice.

I have been looking into upgrading I am getting a substantial amount of money in the next month or 2 so I will be going big :)

Thanks :) I'm currently giving this tank an over haul it's going to be getting a new stand made up out of steel as this one is mdf and has water damage :/ then it's going to be getting a bit of over kill with metal halides my friend giving me a fixture that runs 2 400watt globes

Back
Top Bottom