Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cannot say a hippo or PBT is more hardy than the other. They are both fairly difficult and prone to ich.

Your profile does not describe your tank. What do you have for fish currently and what are your long range plans. It sounds like a tang may not be for you right now. There are many other marine fish to choose from that might be more appropriate for your tank.

Just a thought,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You will be OK with the yellow tang. As long as he is the only one in there. The Powder blue is a ick magnet so do non put him in 55. Also read what Steve-s wrote on this thread about putting fish in a too small enviornment.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...r=asc&start=10

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to binaryterror
Wow, that link helped alot! Here is a good question: How long does it take a Blue Tang (Hippo), and the PBT to reach full size? I will be upgrading my tank eventually and if it grows not too fast, I may be able to get a 100 gallon tank before it gets too big for my 55 gallon. Just a thought...
Old 11-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I decided that I am going to upgrade my tank in a year from when I get the fish. Sometime around Christmas next year. So now it comes down to the Powerder Blue Tang or the Hippo Tang. Which is more hardy, which is cooler, which is smaller and grows the slowest.
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess you missed all the posts that say that neither fish is a good idea for a 55 gallon tank. You obviously are going to do what you want.
I don't understand why you can't wait till you upgrade?? That is what a responsible hobbyist would do.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wasnt planning on buying one. It is just that it isnt going to be full grown when I upgrade, so I just dont see why I cant keep a small PBT in my tank. I am very sorry if I sound like you say. Since it will be like 6 inches when I upgrade, it shouldnt be in dire condition. Thats all I am saying.
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
because small or not, it is still too many fish for a 55 gallon tank.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its your tank and your going to do what you want in the end. We are giving you advice some based on experience and some based on research and knowledge gained through others. These fish need swimming room and if felt stressed they can become sick and possibly get ich. Is that the chance you want to take becasue you can't wait a year? Read some of the posts on ich and what a PIA it is to get out of a tank and if that does not convince you to wait I don't know what will.
PBT and Yellow tangs are 2 different fish just looking at them you can see the differences. Not sure why the web site says that a scopus tang gets to be 12" the books I have say 7.9" is the max.. Most will say that any tang will not do well in a 55 so by pushing the limits with a Hippo and PBT IMO is just not worth the risk. Adding more LR is not going to help matters because it takes away the swimming room needed for these fish.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

JMHO, if you go with either a hippo or PBT right now I do not think they will be around in a year.

Again, I would suggest skipping a tang all together right now and waiting.

You never answered what you currently have in your tank. They could be not compatible or you may be at your limit without one.

Just trying to help,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I did not read the thread entirely, but has anyone said anything about not adding fish all at the same time to keep bio impact minimal. How about adding them from least to most aggressive leaving the tang for last to reduce harassment. In my experience, it takes a few months for a tank to begin showing maturity. By the time you could add a tang, maybe you would have upgraded to a larger, more appropriately sized tank. Moving a tang from the store to a tank is hard enough, do you really want to do it all over again. You may even change your mind on getting a tang based on further research. It is very easy to buy impulsively but these types of purchases will cost one time or another. If you are a beginning aquarist you really should take your time with things. It is in the best interest for yourself and for your tank inhabitants. You will eventually fully understand other peoples concern.

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com