Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tang Problem

I have been a big fan of tangs over the past 20 years. I have about 10 tangs in my 180 gal reef currently and it will soon be 1/2 that. The problem I have is most of them are getting thinner. The easiest sign a tang is healthy is thickness in the head along with the full belly. My tangs seem to be eating a lot but after about 6 months, you can notice them to start to get thinner behind the eyes. So much so that in my buck tooth tang, you can start to see his spines. It seems the only two it has not affected are the two small hippos, the yellow tang and the Sailfin. The rest are eating everything but continue to get thinner. The last time I encountered this issue, I was told it was a disease that affects surgeon fish and I don't remember how I treated it.

Looking for some assistance and any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjken3063 View Post
I have been a big fan of tangs over the past 20 years. I have about 10 tangs in my 180 gal reef currently and it will soon be 1/2 that. The problem I have is most of them are getting thinner. The easiest sign a tang is healthy is thickness in the head along with the full belly. My tangs seem to be eating a lot but after about 6 months, you can notice them to start to get thinner behind the eyes. So much so that in my buck tooth tang, you can start to see his spines. It seems the only two it has not affected are the two small hippos, the yellow tang and the Sailfin. The rest are eating everything but continue to get thinner. The last time I encountered this issue, I was told it was a disease that affects surgeon fish and I don't remember how I treated it.

Looking for some assistance and any help would be appreciated.
What do you feed them?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

multiple frozen foods. I have about 10 types of frozen food and they are alternated daily. In addition they get romaine lettuce every other day and kelp three times a week.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
multiple frozen foods. I have about 10 types of frozen food and they are alternated daily. In addition they get romaine lettuce every other day and kelp three times a week.
Any spirulina enriched? Not sure if romaine has essential vitamins and such keeps their belly full but i dont think it does them any good not sure tho ive never used it i use nori with my tangs then for frozen i use " rods herbavore" not sure if brine shrimp or mysis has what they need other than that i dont know
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you feed nori? or seaweed from an oriental market my yellow tang loves nori.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

correct about the romaine. hardly any vitamins helpful to tangs. try a couple sheets of nori every day.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Other that that idk
Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

spirulina, blood worms, mysis, clam, beef heart, formula one and two and 3 others i don't remember. I also have dried kelp that i feed as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
spirulina, blood worms, mysis, clam, beef heart, formula one and two and 3 others i don't remember. I also have dried kelp that i feed as well.
Only thing i can suggest is more nori and algae all day long lol if i didnt have other fish i probably would only feed my tangs mysis or other meaty foods once a week try and keep veggie clip available thru out the day thats about all i can say not sure if rods food is available in your area but they make an herbavore blend just for tangs and such thats what i use
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Might be an internal parasite of some kind. Prazipro could be an option, but I know very little about this medication.

Some websites I found regarding the same issue:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2094837

Tang wont gain weight - Reef Central Online Community

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com