Tang Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjken3063

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been a big fan of tangs over the past 20 years. I have about 10 tangs in my 180 gal reef currently and it will soon be 1/2 that. The problem I have is most of them are getting thinner. The easiest sign a tang is healthy is thickness in the head along with the full belly. My tangs seem to be eating a lot but after about 6 months, you can notice them to start to get thinner behind the eyes. So much so that in my buck tooth tang, you can start to see his spines. It seems the only two it has not affected are the two small hippos, the yellow tang and the Sailfin. The rest are eating everything but continue to get thinner. The last time I encountered this issue, I was told it was a disease that affects surgeon fish and I don't remember how I treated it.

Looking for some assistance and any help would be appreciated.

I have been a big fan of tangs over the past 20 years. I have about 10 tangs in my 180 gal reef currently and it will soon be 1/2 that. The problem I have is most of them are getting thinner. The easiest sign a tang is healthy is thickness in the head along with the full belly. My tangs seem to be eating a lot but after about 6 months, you can notice them to start to get thinner behind the eyes. So much so that in my buck tooth tang, you can start to see his spines. It seems the only two it has not affected are the two small hippos, the yellow tang and the Sailfin. The rest are eating everything but continue to get thinner. The last time I encountered this issue, I was told it was a disease that affects surgeon fish and I don't remember how I treated it.

Looking for some assistance and any help would be appreciated.

What do you feed them?

multiple frozen foods. I have about 10 types of frozen food and they are alternated daily. In addition they get romaine lettuce every other day and kelp three times a week.

multiple frozen foods. I have about 10 types of frozen food and they are alternated daily. In addition they get romaine lettuce every other day and kelp three times a week.

Any spirulina enriched? Not sure if romaine has essential vitamins and such keeps their belly full but i dont think it does them any good not sure tho ive never used it i use nori with my tangs then for frozen i use " rods herbavore" not sure if brine shrimp or mysis has what they need other than that i dont know

Do you feed nori? or seaweed from an oriental market my yellow tang loves nori.

correct about the romaine. hardly any vitamins helpful to tangs. try a couple sheets of nori every day.

Other that that idk

spirulina, blood worms, mysis, clam, beef heart, formula one and two and 3 others i don't remember. I also have dried kelp that i feed as well.

spirulina, blood worms, mysis, clam, beef heart, formula one and two and 3 others i don't remember. I also have dried kelp that i feed as well.

Only thing i can suggest is more nori and algae all day long lol if i didnt have other fish i probably would only feed my tangs mysis or other meaty foods once a week try and keep veggie clip available thru out the day thats about all i can say not sure if rods food is available in your area but they make an herbavore blend just for tangs and such thats what i use

that is it. That is what i was looking for. The pictures of his before and after Kole are what I am dealing with. I could not remember the medicine I used in the past to treat this and appreciate all the help. I know what to watch for and I think I have caught it early enough to fix it...hopefully

thanks again for all the assistance

Back
Top Bottom