Tang question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried to find nori locally. They only have it already roasted. I do have another place to check out. I saw him eat a small piece that came off the clip when I took it out. I'll try to get some green algae tomorrow and see if that gets different results than the red.

My tangs, yellow and sailfin, rabbit fish and even the angels fight over the stuff. Like I said Amazon has it or any Asian market has it. It is identical to the green stuff at the LFS for $9 and 25 sheets. I haven't tried other varieties as this seems to keep them all super fat. They also get frozen foods, but I really bulk them up on this stuff. It hold together pretty well in the tank and after I slice it up I get over a hundred sheets for less than $9. Try the garlic trick on the kole tang and see if it works.

That's where I went the Asian market. All the nori is roasted . There is one more market 45 mins away. I'm trying there next .

Bought mine on Amazon. It is marked Nori Seaweed Sheets, Mikoshi Trading, Hawaii (50 to a pack, 10"x10" for about 10 dollars)
It appears to be identical to the green seaweed sheets I purchased at the LFS. The fish love it. 4.4 oz. per pack

How long do you guys leave the algae sheets in? I have been sticking it on when I get home and leave it for 3 hours till lights out. Maybe I should put some in before work and leave it all day.

I am only feeding one yellow tang, but I only tear off about an inch the sheet and roll it up (I use me glassmag to hold it up). Nothing left.

Ok i got some reef nutrition brand seaweed with garlic on it. I let a few pieces loose in the tank and he ate it. My heniochus is turning out to be a bully I think that's why he wont go eat from the clip even though he didn't before the henio was added last week. I'm thinking about checking if I can take it back .

Ok i got some reef nutrition brand seaweed with garlic on it. I let a few pieces loose in the tank and he ate it. My heniochus is turning out to be a bully I think that's why he wont go eat from the clip even though he didn't before the henio was added last week. I'm thinking about checking if I can take it back .

Glad he ate. Sorry to hear about your heniochus. Hope all turns well.

Thanks Rick . The tang eats everything else it's just the algae. I also think it would have worked out better if they were closer in size . too bad i don't really want to bring it back.

The heniochus was in the sump all day before I returned him. I left the algae sheet in while I was at work and the sailfin did indeed eat some of it . So it was the henio stopping him from grazing.

Tangs, more than most fish, are subject to stress. That is why people sometime think they are ick magnets...but in reality, they are just easier to stress out. It's why folks add them in groups and take special precautions when introducing to a established reef. It's also why we harp on tank size as they really like to have some room and good hidey holes. You might try building a temporary quarantine area or box in the tank and reintroduce him that way for a while. Or go for broke and add him back with at least two other tangs. Hope your tank is big for that trick to work.

It's a 180 gallon tank . I traded the henio for a yellow mimic tang. The henio went after my puffer so I wasn't having that at all he had to go ASAP. So far the new one and the sailfin are good with eachother.

That's a good tank for most tangs, bigger is always better...I built a isolation box I can hang in my tank to allow shy fish a chance to adjust to the water and light cycle of the tank if needed. I think it has helped a few times.

Cool deal the tank is very peaceful without the henio . My puffer probably would have attacked and killed the henio if it kept messing with him If I didn't do what I did so all is well .the algae sheets are getting nibbled on now so I know I made the right choice.

Back
Top Bottom