Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Tang question

I am planning to get a tang or two for my 180 gallon when it finishes cycling and I had some questions. Would a sailfin and a powder brown get along? ( general question as I know it depends on the fish). Another question is I have been buying food to prepare and I got nls pellets and omega one red algae sheets. Was curious since the nls has algae and spirulina if the algae sheets are still needed for optimal health? Thank you

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I only have one yellow tang so take this for what its worth, but both are on the more passive end of the tang scale. I think in a tank that size, especially if introduced at the same time, you would be just fine. The brown powder is a great looking fish, I'd add one if I didn't think my yellow would beat him up too much. Good luck.

125 gl (72.5x18.5x22), 33 breeder tank sump, 3 maxspect led, Diablo protein skimmer, 1"live sand base, 175lbs live rock, 2 Orange Clowns, 1 yellow tang, lawnmower blenny,several mushrooms and leather corals, a couple small acro's and a standard cuc. Tank transferred from 55 on 24 Dec 2011
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thank you for the response. What do you feed your tang?
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

He eats pellets daily, mysis shrimp every 2 or 3 days and dried seaweed on alternating days. He also grazes on alge on he rock continually. Seaweed is definetely his favorite.
125 gl (72.5x18.5x22), 33 breeder tank sump, 3 maxspect led, Diablo protein skimmer, 1"live sand base, 175lbs live rock, 2 Orange Clowns, 1 yellow tang, lawnmower blenny,several mushrooms and leather corals, a couple small acro's and a standard cuc. Tank transferred from 55 on 24 Dec 2011
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They will get along fine just as long as you add then at the same time, personaly I would add 4 tangs to that tank at the same time, sailfin, powder brown, Naso, and a yellow tang. that's my future stock list
Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just be carefull adding 4 fish that size at once could cause a spike in ur numbers. From what I have seen even though a little dif from what I read I have never had a prb with a tang attacking a new addition to a tank including other tangs.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also the naso and powder brown are similar especially as juveniles so they are more apt to fight. If I had to pick four tangs for a 180(which I have may not go with 4 tangs tho) is a naso, dejardini sailfin, achillies, and purple.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well I know for sure I won't be getting four tangs. I have my porcupine puffer and my dwarf lion from my other tank . Probably going to be overstocked if I go with more fish than that. What kind of foods do your tangs eat?
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just those two u would he absolutly fine with 4 tangs if u wanted not much past that but def can get away with it. You could have those two 4 tangs plus a few smaller fish imo
Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't go 4 tangs but I like a variety. But mine eat everything nori formula two mysis brine etc basically everything. Love nori tho

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com