Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tang Question

I may be getting ahead of myself but I am setting up my first aquarium so I am trying to semi plan out some fish. I was hoping to have a couple yellow, purple and Blue tangs a in the tank together but from what I read on the fish website they are aggressive toward each other. Except for the blue tang. Are they that aggressive toward each other or is the store just covering there bases? My tank is 550 gallons so they will have room to be away from each other. I was hoping someone has dealt with them together. Also any fish suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You

Old 05-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
i dont think they are that aggressive towards each other if you have enough room and hiding places, which 550 gallons i think would be enought. Man am i jealous

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to LIMentality420 Send a message via Yahoo to LIMentality420
IMO I would try to get all juvenile ones.
0.1 Flying Gecko
LIMentality420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The potential for problems is there. With that large of a system you should be okay if they are provided with lots of LR and hiding places but you just never know. The main problems with be with the purple and yellows since they share the same body shape.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like Lando said, get tangs that have different shapes and colors as it will reduce aggression.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had a blue, yellow and purple in my tank. I got the blue first, then the yellow then the purple. My yellow and purple were okay with each other but my blue tang went after the purple. Had to put a glass up in the tank for about a week till they got used to each other. After that they were okay with each other, just every once in a while the blue would chase the purple. With a tank as large as yours, I would think you would be able to have several. I think the pictures of the 850 show several tangs together, even ones of the same kind. I would only suggest that you buy them young, ie small, so they won't pick on each other. HTH

good luck, can't wait to see the pictures~~

155 Bow front Reef tank w/
60 gal sump w/ refruguim, 20# of live rock, and protein skimmer and pump
200+ of Live Rock, with a 5-6 in sand bed.
3 Pendent Lights w/ 250K each
wave machine w/ 6 power head

2 P. Clowns, 1 Tomini Bristletooth Tang, 4 Shrimps, 4 emenaral crabs & lots of other snails & hermit crabs
Walpurgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Re: Tang Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
My tank is 550 gallons so they will have room to be away from each other. I was hoping someone has dealt with them together. Also any fish suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You
I have a 450g with 380 lbs of LR. So far I only have one Yellow Tang but I plan to add additional Tangs in the future. I am taking my time with this tank. Have you had many other aquariums before this 550g? If not you are like me, I jumped in there with a 450 because I got it from a family member for a good price. Also, do you have all the other goodies that you will need for the tank, such as protein skimmer, lights, UV, LR, etc.??
If you don't you will soon find out that these items will cost more than the tank (this hurt when I realized this).

Anyway, good luck with the tank and have fun and most of all be patient.

Regards,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was told, when I bought my tangs, to either introduce them all in the tank at the same time or take the ones you have out and rearrange your tank and add them and the new tang at the same time. They said that way non of them will be territorial. That worked for me.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:44 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You should be OK with that size tank. But like someone said earlier there is potential for trouble. Be aware of it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com