Tang Won't Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanderson417

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a new Kole Tang. He was great for the first 2-3 days. Now he hides in the back and won't eat. Any ideas would be appreciated from those of you who have experienced this. I Googled this and it appears that most who have had this have lost their fish. I don't want that to happen and I will try almost anything. I soaked PE Mysis and Nori in garlic but that didn't work. I tried Cycolpeeze, and I don't think that worked either. Thanks.

The tank is a 72G bow. It's been running for over a year. I have a pair of clowns, a Foxface, a chromis, and lots of snails and crabs. My water parameters are all solid. I called Liveaquaria and they said this happens at times; try soaking the food in garlic for a while to get the Kole to come out. To date that isn't working and I fear he will starve eventually.

It might be eating algae in the tank...my lawnmower won't eat what I feed but I see him eating off rocks glass etc and he has a nice fat belly

Plus that's two big algae eaters in your tank...possibly to big of a bioload

Thanks for your responses. I recently soaked red seaweed in Garlic Extreme, then I put the appropriate amount of Garlic Extreme drips into the tank water. I can't see if be is eating, but he is more active today. He hides whenever I am in view of the tank, but at least I see him swimming a bit. I have closed the doors to the room to help him get comfortable with the tank.

I put my Nori flakes thru a food processor and turn them into flakes, tangs will not eat the sheets but will gobble up the flakes, might want to give that a shot

My Kole took a while to settle in. He eats sheets of Nori and anything else he can get. I think it is all about stress at this point. Be sure he has a good hole to hide in and get him a bigger tank when he starts to grow, 75 is a bit small IMO for tangs.

Thanks to you all for your responses. The idea of putting the Nori sheets on the food processor, along with using Garlic Extreme seems to have helped. He is now swimming in the tank freely, as long as he can't see anyone. So the tank is off limits until he has time to settle in a bit more. Thanks again. I had Nori sheets and red seaweed sheets soaked in garlic throughout the tank and he had no interest. He seemed to like the bits of nori from the processor.

Thanks to you all for your responses. The idea of putting the Nori sheets on the food processor, along with using Garlic Extreme seems to have helped. He is now swimming in the tank freely, as long as he can't see anyone. So the tank is off limits until he has time to settle in a bit more. Thanks again. I had Nori sheets and red seaweed sheets soaked in garlic throughout the tank and he had no interest. He seemed to like the bits of nori from the processor.

it is less work for them and they do not have to leave cover to eat, good luck

Back
Top Bottom