Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hardridge

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some free fish. So now in my 120
I have a yellow a clown a sailfin and a small tang that's shaped like yellow but will be blue like a blue tang as adult ( sorry forgot name)
The tank is 3 deep and 4 long. All are small. Am I ok and if so for how long

image-3337561981.jpg

I would think the yellow & sailfin might fight being similar body shape. Good luck with that. Most on here will recommend you have a six foot tank for those. I myself have a four foot 125 gal & I have a juvenile yellow & a juvenile blue tang and know at some point I will need to move them. Btw my yellow is quite the bossy fish lol.

See, that is what I don't understand. I have talked to MANY people and not just LFS that say 125 gallon is fine for the Blue Hippo Tang, while a lot of websites say a 75 gallon is the Minimal tank size. Than you come on here and a lot of people will say 180 gallon (LiveAquari.com, is the only website that says 180 gallon minimal) is what you need. So why so much confusion on what this Tang needs? I for one will like to get a Blue Hippo Tang some day. My next tank will be a 90 gallon tank (I am working on a 29 gallon tank now). I would love to keep a Blue Hippo Tang, but with all the tank sizes being thrown around I don't know what to believe.

Needless to say PETCO website says minimal tank size is a 55 gallon. LoL

Also, wouldn't a 125 gallon be the same as a 180 gallon for the Blue Hippo Tang due to it being 72in across? Don't they just need a 6 foot horizontal swim?

Tangs need 6 foot minimum long for swimming. They swim 20 miles a day in the wild, grazing all day long. Tangs are more susceptible to lateral line disease, fin erosion and ich than any other fish. So when put in a small tank, they get stressed out and problems develop. I have a 125 six footer and they can dart the 6 foot in a second, so imagine that burst of speed in a 3-4 foot tank.

Holygral said:
Tangs need 6 foot minimum long for swimming. They swim 20 miles a day in the wild, grazing all day long. Tangs are more susceptible to lateral line disease, fin erosion and ich than any other fish. So when put in a small tank, they get stressed out and problems develop. I have a 125 six footer and they can dart the 6 foot in a second, so imagine that burst of speed in a 3-4 foot tank.

I'm sceptical on this 6ft tank requirement people always quote ...how can 6ft minimum be acceptable if a tang swims 20 miles a day as you claim? If this is the case, then tangs surely should not be kept in captivity full stop??

It's just what the MIN is. Obviously the ocean would be better, but a 4' to a 6' is a big difference. It's 1.5x the length.

IMO they will fight. I'm not going to say you need a 6' tank b/c honestly for 1 or 2 you may not but you said a clown tang? If so he is VERY mean more likely than not but each fish is different. I also agree the yellow and sailfin will most likely fight but then again they also may not, just can be risky

Thx for replies so far all are fine the yellow and sailfin have been together for a month I rescued him from bad hobbiest he's healing fine now. If I have to remove some I will

Got to love going fish shopping. So many different opinions, and so much different information. So in all of your opinions would a Blue Hippo Tang be ok in a 90 gallon tank? Would a Yellow Tang be ok in a 90? If so what else would be ok to put into the tank With the tangs?

I happen to believe the 90 gallon would be too small, but I have seen many of them in 90 gallons swimming fine and healthy at full size. Maybe it makes a difference if they are tank bread over live caught?

baron1282 said:
Got to love going fish shopping. So many different opinions, and so much different information. So in all of your opinions would a Blue Hippo Tang be ok in a 90 gallon tank? Would a Yellow Tang be ok in a 90? If so what else would be ok to put into the tank With the tangs?

I happen to believe the 90 gallon would be too small, but I have seen many of them in 90 gallons swimming fine and healthy at full size. Maybe it makes a difference if they are tank bread over live caught?

There are no tank bred tangs. And i wouldnt put a yellow or blue tang in a tank under 6' long. Thats my opinion

I have had tangs for over 20 years and have been on many dives with them in the wild.

Different tangs need different things. Hippos are easier than yellows for example IMO. Hippos cruise around while yellows fly. Tangs need these things to survive and not act as a breeding ground for parasites (they have a very thin slime coat which acts as a fishs immune system);

A long tank for uninterrupted swims, my tank goes around a corner, so the tangs can't see the end. I suggest 6' or more for long term care.

Lots of hidey holes and holes for sleeping.

A almost never ending availability of Nori or other seaweeds to graze on. Seaweed doesn't have much nutrition in it, so they eat a lot of it.

Most of my tangs are almost 10 years old and fat.

So tell me this how lo g can I keep them in this tank. I need a reason to go bigger

I'd say just having the Tangs is a reason to go bigger. :) what more do you need? If they are small, they might be okay for a while, but if you are considering larger, just go for it and then no worries. I think that the 6' rule for most Tangs works. Most people that I have heard that try to argue otherwise seem to go based on layman's common sense not anything scientific. I tend to put more credence in the folks out there that have been schooled in these things.

Cool. I have a blue hippo tang. I want a sailfin but the Naso seems to be drawing me in.. But they are much too big for my tank.. 55 gallon reef

Dont worry. The blue tang has a 5000 gallon fowlr to look forward too once it gets too big for my tank.. :D

Back
Top Bottom