Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damarferg

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 65 gallon reef tank and wanted to know what's the best tang for me to get that is less aggressive. I have a bluejaw trigger, 2 yt dams, maroon clown and a cooperbanded butterfly

65 gallon is too small for a tang, unless its really long. They need swimming room. If you absolutely have to have one, I'd go with a small Tomini tang. But they really need a 6" long tank to be happy and not stressed.

AbsoluteFaye said:
65 gallon is too small for a tang, unless its really long. They need swimming room. If you absolutely have to have one, I'd go with a small Tomini tang. But they really need a 6" long tank to be happy and not stressed.

Thank you for your comment

JonathanG said:
Honestly I think your overstocked already for a 65 gallon.

Yes ik by the trigger and butterfly but soon I will be upgrading best to wait huh so there won't be any aggression right

I have a 65 gallon reef tank and wanted to know what's the best tang for me to get that is less aggressive. I have a bluejaw trigger, 2 yt dams, maroon clown and a cooperbanded butterfly

Does your copperbanded butterflyfish eat ?
Unfortunately mine are but not enough. And he died .
As for tangs.
I have a kole tang in my 70 gal.
I had a small blue hippo tang and I believe the kole tang killed it .
He was weird from the day I bought it
Can triggers be kept in a reef tank ?

Trigger and butterfly are both not reef safe

I didn't think so ,
I was told The copperbanded butterflyfish is with caution .
But very rare to get one that will eat .
I'm thinking I want either angels or might research a few different fish that won't eat anemones ,
That is the only coral I have

There are a few "with caution" Butterflies. I've seen them in reef tanks with no problems, but its probably a bit of random luck as to what the fish you buy will do. Dwarf Angels are much the same way. Some destroy reef tanks and others are model citizens. I don't think either would mess with anemones though.

As for tangs.

Some triggers do very well in a reef. Though all are "with caution" some species do better than others. Try blue jaw triggers....least aggressive of triggers ime. Had a pair in my reef before I had a heater failure/crash. Crosshatch triggers do well also but are $$$$$$$.

Blue jaws are great fish too. I had a male years ago and it is still one of my all time favorites. If I ever get the money to upgrade, I want to get a pair.

[SIZE=-1]Triggerfish are carnivores that spend their days nibbling on a wide variety of echinoderms and crustaceans like crabs, shrimps, sea urchins, worms, and other invertebrates. They are not coral eaters, but they may have a tendency to pick at clams and other animals that may be attached to corals or live rock. [/SIZE]

Rmckoy said:
As for tangs.

Yes I got my cooperbanded butterfly to eat frozen shrimp. When I first introduced the butterfly it did not eat at all. But I keeped using frozen shrimp and now he eats everyday and looking healthy. Yes some butterfly you need to watch in a reef mine nibbled on one of my coral but stopped and didn't mess with anything else in my reef so watch carefully. As for my bluejaw trigger doing great in my reef never had any problems with him picking at my coral at all. Yes one of the better behaved triggers.

bjj_junkie said:
Kole tangs do good in tanks that size, I have one in my 60

Thanks I'm thinking about getting a kole tang are they too aggressive

bjj_junkie said:
Mine isn't at all, it actually gets bullied by a smaller sailfin

Ok thanks for your info it looks like I will be getting one now

Back
Top Bottom