Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 298
Tangs

I have a 65 gallon reef tank and wanted to know what's the best tang for me to get that is less aggressive. I have a bluejaw trigger, 2 yt dams, maroon clown and a cooperbanded butterfly
__________________

__________________
Damarferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AbsoluteFaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cream Ridge, NJ
Posts: 1,058
65 gallon is too small for a tang, unless its really long. They need swimming room. If you absolutely have to have one, I'd go with a small Tomini tang. But they really need a 6" long tank to be happy and not stressed.
__________________

__________________
AbsoluteFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye
65 gallon is too small for a tang, unless its really long. They need swimming room. If you absolutely have to have one, I'd go with a small Tomini tang. But they really need a 6" long tank to be happy and not stressed.
Thank you for your comment
__________________
Damarferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fleetwood PA.
Posts: 168
Honestly I think your overstocked already for a 65 gallon.
__________________
JonathanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanG
Honestly I think your overstocked already for a 65 gallon.
Yes ik by the trigger and butterfly but soon I will be upgrading best to wait huh so there won't be any aggression right
__________________
Damarferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damarferg View Post
I have a 65 gallon reef tank and wanted to know what's the best tang for me to get that is less aggressive. I have a bluejaw trigger, 2 yt dams, maroon clown and a cooperbanded butterfly
Does your copperbanded butterflyfish eat ?
Unfortunately mine are but not enough. And he died .
As for tangs.
I have a kole tang in my 70 gal.
I had a small blue hippo tang and I believe the kole tang killed it .
He was weird from the day I bought it
Can triggers be kept in a reef tank ?
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Trigger and butterfly are both not reef safe
__________________
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Trigger and butterfly are both not reef safe
I didn't think so ,
I was told The copperbanded butterflyfish is with caution .
But very rare to get one that will eat .
I'm thinking I want either angels or might research a few different fish that won't eat anemones ,
That is the only coral I have
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 3,110
There are a few "with caution" Butterflies. I've seen them in reef tanks with no problems, but its probably a bit of random luck as to what the fish you buy will do. Dwarf Angels are much the same way. Some destroy reef tanks and others are model citizens. I don't think either would mess with anemones though.
__________________
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post

Does your copperbanded butterflyfish eat ?
Unfortunately mine are but not enough. And he died .
As for tangs.
I have a kole tang in my 70 gal.
I had a small blue hippo tang and I believe the kole tang killed it .
He was weird from the day I bought it
Can triggers be kept in a reef tank ?
Some triggers do very well in a reef. Though all are "with caution" some species do better than others. Try blue jaw triggers....least aggressive of triggers ime. Had a pair in my reef before I had a heater failure/crash. Crosshatch triggers do well also but are $$$$$$$.
__________________

__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.