Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Of course smaller tangs can go in smaller tanks. As mentioned, is it really right to have it grow in that tank, and then just get rid of it later? Would you do this with a snake? a cat? a parrot? a dog? If you have another tank lined up in your own home, I see no problem with it, but many people "plan" on a larger tank and it never happens.

This issue is just most popular with tangs, but it happens with larger wrasse, triggers, rabbitfish, etc.

75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
It's bad husbandry to buy a fish to keep till its too big for your tank. Carey said she has a 6 foot tank and feels bad its not 8. I'm assuming she said that because she sees how fast they swim and dart around the tank. Sailfins get very large fast. We should be stewards of the hobby. A yellow tang in a four foot tank is do able. A kole in a four foot tank is do able. This statement is also based on stocking and rock scape. Sailfin, hippo, and most of the others are not do able in a four or even 6 foot tank. It's like keeping your dog in cage. But my local reef club works with sea world in a husbandry program and I have been to many classes that made me form this opinion.

Bige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Back when i first started down this journey that is the saltie world, i felt the same way about tangs. "clearly they can manage in my tank, ill worry about it when they get bigger"... This is a thought process that we all encounter at some point and we must learn to help ourselves and others truly understand that this same thought is wrong. Anyone that sits down and closely watches a tang in a bigger size tank can see that they do dart around the tank with the slightest of movements. I personally Have had a couple tangs (2 yellows, powder brown, tennanati) and they all have expressed unique requirements. I currently have the tennanati tang ( leautenant tang) and he is constantly making laps from one end to the other. When we advise people of the important requirements that tangs have, we dont do it to be vicious or mean, we do it because we care.

my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com