Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Tangs and diet

It occures to me when I see most tangs, especially yellow ones, they are paper thin. I have found we aren't feeding them enough. A few years ago I started a program to beef my tangs up. They are all now quite fat and seem very happy. But it took far more food than I would have imagined to get weight on them. Like birds, they must have a very short digestive system. They create a lot of waste matter which can be a problem for some filtration systems.

Mine eat romain lettuce, nori and proteins daily. Wondering if others have found the same thing.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My yellow tang and my blue are extremely FAT. lol When you look at them head on you can really tell, they are quite thick. I probably overfeed but that's just me. lol
I feed mysis, brine, bloodworms, NLS pellets, spirulina flakes and always have seaweed clipped inside. I have yet to have any issues with them, so I figure I am doing it right.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My point. It does take a lot of feeding them to get them up to weight. They tend to be lean in the wild, maybe ours are too fat?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's kinda a joke here that all my fish are fat. It's not really a joke though as all my fish are fat in all my tanks. lol Even my mandarin is fat. I have a barnacle blenny that is almost white on his sides cause he is so fat. I've always wondered if fat is better or if i am overfeeding and actually hurting them. Except for the mandarin, I want him to be fat. lol
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
RJT
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wonder if we can really compare our tangs in an environment measured in feet to an ocean where they may travel miles. Also, if you look at fish that are in pet stores they are thin I assume from getting caught, traveling across the world, put into a wholesellers tank then into the lfs tank.

I feed my tangs a variety of food and they do eat a lot. Their mouths look small but they can consume a tremendous amount of food in a short amount of time. I wouldn't consider mine fat but healthy.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I feed mine three or four times a day. She's plumped up significantly from the fish store. Would be interesting to see a study done on the diet of tangs in the wild.

I did find this though: A diet study on ray-finned fishes, which include the blue tang, although that isn't one of the species they studied. Unfortunately the entire journal is not free...

The influence of diet and gastrointestinal fermentation on key enzymes of substrate utilization in marine teleost fishes

there's several journals on diets, but most are specific fish.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I guess you could compare them a bit to geese that eat vegetable matter and tons of it because their digestive system isn't very efficient. Hence the huge amount of poop they leave behind. One of my reasons for this discussion is that also a reason for a bigger tank with larger filtration for tangs? Roominess is one thing, processing poop is another. A small number of geese can poison a pond with nitrates and phosphates.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
It's kinda a joke here that all my fish are fat. It's not really a joke though as all my fish are fat in all my tanks. lol Even my mandarin is fat. I have a barnacle blenny that is almost white on his sides cause he is so fat. I've always wondered if fat is better or if i am overfeeding and actually hurting them. Except for the mandarin, I want him to be fat. lol
Unlike people, I think plumpness is good for your fish. Certainly better than starving. A fat mandarin can only be a good thing!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The tank I always refer to that I used to maintain and fed twice a week had a powder blue, red sea sailfin, and a yellow foxface in it, which all came in rather thin, but after I fattened them up, twice a week feedings kept them looking quite robust. I just think they suffered and scrounged a bit before they arrived to our controlled environments.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would tend to agree, but I have seen pictures of lots of thin tangs. My point is that they ingest more material than many other fish do.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com