Tangs and tank size.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LFS keep tangs in display with less than a gal container and who knows for how long. Do you give them advice as well?

If they asked me, I would tell them what I think. I have never had anyone at an LFS ask though. they are different in my mind though. I would be willing to bet that many LFS do not keep stock for very long. I know most I go to, or used to go to, usually don't have much of the same thing from week to week or month to month at least. I assume most (not all obviously) people buy fish to keep for longer periods of time. I've never seen a LFS that kept larger fish in less than gallon tanks though and I would certainly not purchase fish from one that did. I've been to one of the big distributors and they do that, but its for extremely short periods of time and its usually for smaller fish.

Seems I started a war! Lol everyone has a right to do what they want, try what they please, or don't try; However!!!, when I started this thread I was looking for ADVICE!!!!! That is the whole point of this site! If I didn't want to know what others thought or experienced I would not have even ask and went a head and put a bunch of tangs in my tank. So arguing who's advice is law makes no difference... Their suggestion will be taken into consideration.... I came to this site for advice and suggestions from others who share my hobby... But that doesn't mean we have to share guidelines. So u all should chill out and if someone didn't want advice then they are obviously in the wrong place! :) thanks again all for helping me decide on the tangs I should get :)

Are we talking about just the endangered species? I believe Yellow Tang is so common and being reproduced everywhere.

You are becoming defensive about this topic because you have a tang in a 60 gallon tank eh? Its wrong, every experienced aquarium owner knows it, why do it?

I'm not arguing advice. I agree with it, conditionally. I'm just tired of people saying no just because that's what they have heard. Saying that blue tangs require a 180 gallon tank and that's final. In other threads it was agreed that a blue would be fine in a 6' 100g. But not in a 4' 125? So the guideline needs to be explained to those who don't understand so we can all make proper informed decisions.

[QUOTE="...In other threads it was agreed that a blue would be fine in a 6' 100g. But not in a 4' 125? So the guideline needs to be explained to those who don't understand so we can all make proper informed decisions.[/QUOTE]

The idea with most tangs needing 6" tanks comes from the fact that they swim a lot in the wild. Much more distance than many other fish. That is scientific fact. In a 4" tank, they just get going and have to turn around. It is more about having a little more length than about volume. Since most aquariums go from 4' to the next largest length being 4", people go with the 6' recommendation. The other part of the equation with Tangs is that they have a naturally thin slime coat, which opens them up to an increased susceptibility to disease/parasites. One cause of stress is not having ample space. Stress makes tangs immunity even worse.

I believe that small Tangs are okay in smaller tanks for a while. Same idea for any fish really, its not just about tangs. My concern is that a lot of people forget about the "for a while" and their fish end up with health problems, and/or die. IMO, that is not right.

Google and you will find 60 per cent says 55 gal min for yellow tang. Who do you believe?

Sorry about the above post looking like it was all quote... not sure why it did that as only the first paragraph shows as Quote on my phone. ;)

Some LFS will put smaller tank sizes because they know they will sell more and the fish will survive for a while, which equates to more money for them and not having to offer a refund so they don't lose that money.

Jeff-I don't want to argue, but I would be willing to bet you $1000 that if you keep that Tang in that tank, it will have health issues down the road. Maybe not now, but when it gets full size for sure.

Bigger tank is not a guarantee either. Bottom line stress is the main factor and it can be the quality of food, stockings and etc. But I will keep watch for any sign of stress. My yellow tang is the only big fish in my tank. How many years does your bet applies?

I have a happy blue regal in my tank. It's a 125 gallon. His tank mates are
Big Eyed Soldier Squirrel Fish
Engineer Goby
Mated pair of Clowns
Red Spotted Hawkfish
Algae Blenny
along with misc. snails, etc.

I for one get tired of the argument of who's right and who's wrong based on their personal opinion or experience.

Not every ones experience is going to be the same.

To be quite honest I'm doing these fish and myself a great service. The LFS who keeps 20 or 30 of these guys in a 30 gallon breeder tank, I feel is a far worse place than my 55 or 75 or 125 gallon tank, with just a FEW other types of fish.

Opinions are like ********, everyone has one. There is such a thing as being to opinionated and even to passionate about something that it borders hostility towards others because they disagree based on that one's own opinions and experiences.

We all have one common thing, our love for marine animals, so lets focus on this positive.

Bigger tank is not a guarantee either. Bottom line stress is the main factor and it can be the quality of food, stockings and etc. But I will keep watch for any sign of stress. My yellow tang is the only big fish in my tank. How many years does your bet applies?

You are correct. There are no guarantees and all of those other things are very, very important. Stress can be controlled, which is why I tend to subscribe to "bigger is better". Having a tank that is larger than suggested can not hurt a fish. Going smaller can certainly cause stress, which is not good for anything.

Once your Tang gets to 7-8" you will see problems. If you lived nearby and I knew you personally and I knew that you could not swap the fish out, I would totally go with the bet. Its easy money, IMO. Since there's no way to be sure, that would not really be a bet I'd do. Please keep us posted though.

Speaking for myself, I do not mind discussions like this. People can have their opinions and they certainly don't all need to agree with me. I will, however, continue to give advice when people ask. It is in their hands to digest the info and make a decision. It's not like I'm mad at people that don't listen.

I agree Todd. That's pretty much what Greg posted in the first page. That's advice and I like that. I don't like how some people just say no it cannot be done and that's the way it is. This is not advice. Advice requires information and leads to an explanation with reasoning behind it. Yes or no answers are not advice, they are opinions.

I think my issue is that most people say "I plan on upgrading so ill get a fish that shouldn't be in my tank full grown because he's smaller." Problem is most people don't ever get the chance, circumstances happen beyond control, or get tired with the hobby and it never happens. What now? We leave the fish to suffer for our enjoyment? That is what I have a problem with. If the fact is you have a larger tank in process or have the money just waiting in it or something like that good. At least you could qt your fish before new tank is set up. It's just most people don't ever do the "upgrade".

Jeff, what are the dimensions of your 60g?
I know where you are heading to that question and yes it's not a 6' tank. But before you even say anything, I would like to tell you this. We know that tang has thin protective coat and once stressed it is the most susceptible fish to get ich. When they get sick we treat them on a 10 gal tank by either medication or hypo salinity. Either way doesn't it tells you that they can live, survive and get better in a 10 gal tank? So why would anyone say it will not make it in a 60 gal tank? The important thing is, you don't get the fish stressed and you don't import parasites into your tank. Avoid over stocking and If you know what steps to take when they get sick then I would say go for it. I have very minimal livestock as you can see on page 8 video.

Back
Top Bottom