Tangs and tank size.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just upgraded to 300 litre and been looking to get a hippo tang and from uk and don't no us gallon. Guy from lfs says would be ok for that kind of tang plus said hippos grow to tank size so is this true or bs

That's only 80 US gallons. Hippos will outgrow that fast.

Thanks for info, is there any tangs what can fit that and what's the grow rate for hippo tangs as got some baby's in shop at about 1 inch long and already thinking about next tank

The bristle tooth tomini tangs do better in small tanks. They only get about 5-6" as adults

How long have you had ur foxface? And how big was he when u got it?

I've had him since last October. He was probably 3.5" when I got him.

To the guy who says tangs grow to the size of the tank- that's something lots of store employees will tell you to make a sale but its not true. If your fish feels cramped up in a tank too small we will get stressed and sick and then he'll die. A hippo tank bought very small can be in an 80gal for a little while no problem but will eventually outgrow it and need to be rehomed or upgraded.

How fast will it take to grow full size as will b upgrading again but not soon. Thing is guys just put his hippo in tank in shop from home tank and its about 7 inch and said he's had it few yrs and next to it are the baby ones so can see the difference in size.

How fast will it take to grow full size as will b upgrading again but not soon. Thing is guys just put his hippo in tank in shop from home tank and its about 7 inch and said he's had it few yrs and next to it are the baby ones so can see the difference in size.

They grow fast mine double in size in less than a year. Depends on available food source. Mine eats hair algae and seaweed off a strip everyday plus the food I feed the rest of my fish. She is a pug

My hippo was only maybe two inches when I got him and now is about 6 inches at least and is really fat. He has been the same size pretty much for the last 2-3 years out of almost four years that I;ve had him. He grew pretty fast by my standards. It was like one day he was tiny and the next he was big lol.

I personally wouldnt put tangs in that size tank, but again thats just me. We cant force you not to add one but can only give you advice. :)

If you like the yellow of the yellow tang how about an angel? The angel I had was brighter yellow than my tang was ! lol

Soo many people say the same thing, they want the tang now rather than later when they have the facilities to properly care for it. What's the harm in waiting until you get the new tank to buy a tang?

Soo many people say the same thing, they want the tang now rather than later when they have the facilities to properly care for it. What's the harm in waiting until you get the new tank to buy a tang?

It's my tang and I want it now!!! It like a JG Wentworth commercial.

My hippo was only maybe two inches when I got him and now is about 6 inches at least and is really fat. He has been the same size pretty much for the last 2-3 years out of almost four years that I;ve had him. He grew pretty fast by my standards. It was like one day he was tiny and the next he was big lol.

I personally wouldnt put tangs in that size tank, but again thats just me. We cant force you not to add one but can only give you advice. :)

If you like the yellow of the yellow tang how about an angel? The angel I had was brighter yellow than my tang was ! lol

I got flame angle already had him few months now such nice fish.

Yeah just want find out grow rate to see if would have upgraded in time and only thing got me thinking about it was guy from lfs put his in shop that he had for few yrs and its big next to the baby ones

3.8 liters = 1 is gallon and as far as I know fish growing to "fit" a tank is BS

I believe it is true, the fish grows until it just "fits" then it stresses and dies and never outgrows the tank. That is why I follow the recommendations as much as possible, I don't want to watch my fish slowly die. I had a work friend put a yellow and hippo tang in a 60 gallon 3 foot tank, I tried to talk him out of it but he wanted them. Now, 2 months later, they are both dead and he wanted to replace them. I talked him in to a flame angel instead, he figured the tangs were small so it was ok but the fish still stressed.

If someone believes a fish will grow to "fit" a tank, then they are saying that stunted grow is healthy.

The bottom line, IMO, is that recommended tank sizes are great guidelines for any fish, not just Tangs. You rarely see people following those guidelines posting about their fish having problems (assuming of course that they are maintaining water properly and considering compatibility issues with tank mates as well). Tangs need lots of room or they stress. Stress effects them more than most other fish. naturally thin slime coats plus lowered immune system equals health issues.

Yea everyone says they will upgrade. My friend offered me a 2" yellow tang for free a while back but I only had a 29g bio cube. I knew I wanted to upgrade before the october but I didn't get the little guy because I was not for sure. I did end up getting my new tank like 3 weeks later but I rather be better safe than sorry. This is the largest tank I can afford and I know it will be my main tank for at least a year or 2. Which is why I am so worried. I love tangs but I also don't want to put them in harms way.

Besides the Kole yellow eye tang. What others will be best for a tank of my size?

That was one of the most rational posts I have read in a long time. Your obvious love of these creatures has conquered your greed to own them and display them. That is a major step. You have also placed yourself on the path of least disappointment and failure. Keep this attitude up and the tangs you will without doubt own, will be fat and long lived .

Attachments

• image-332647760.jpg
    image-332647760.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 113
That was one of the most rational posts I have read in a long time. Your obvious love of these creatures has conquered your greed to own them and display them. That is a major step. You have also placed yourself on the path of least disappointment and failure. Keep this attitude up and the tangs you will without doubt own, will be fat and long lived .

+1 very true

I really want a yellow tank tho!! Gerrrrr. Hmmm I think I will get one. And watch him closely. If he looks like he is being aggressive or any unhealthy habits I will take it back. And I will get a Kole.. How about a foxface? Will he be ok?

I have a foxface in my 125 he's healthy and keeps things pretty peaceful

Back
Top Bottom