Tangs and tank size.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It keeps coming up. A new person asks once a week the same thing. Nobody seems to review older posts. I am just trying to help. I sold my fish stores for reasons just like this. Don't ask for opinions if you don't want them. For me, the information here and the friendships of other forum members has made it worth while.

When some people ask for opinions, it's not to take them and make them ours but to weigh our options and make a decision of our own. When i ask questions it's because I want to make a decision and not have you make it for me. This hobby is filled with a bunch of know it alls who obviously get offended when someone doesn't obey the 10 commandments. I'm sorry I even became involved with such nonsense. I would never ask a question to anyone on here just to kill the reply. My choice of words are no better or worse than the rest on this thread. I believe you selling your "fish stores" is not entirely because "they" didn't listen to advice.

A 1" blue in a 90 gallon will be fine. However as that fish grows, say to 3 or 4 inches, it should be removed. The "it needs a 180 gallon tank" rule needs to be revised to account for fish size. I will also note that I will be putting a blue tang into my 90 under the above mentioned rule. I don't need the same fish for 10 years. I just want a blue in my tank.

Exactly..why should anyone question if i'm responsible enough to know that i need to find a new owner or a LFS or even upgrade my tank..if i can have a 1" in a 90gallon for a bit with a plan b,c and d. I shouldn't try it? In life many people fear what they don't really know, hence never trying it at the "advice" of another, who probably failed or didn't even try.

...if i can have a 1" in a 90gallon for a bit with a plan b,c and d. I shouldn't try it? In life many people fear what they don't really know, hence never trying it at the "advice" of another, who probably failed or didn't even try.

But if someone asks whether putting a fish in a smaller tank is a good idea, the answer is not always "Yes, give it a try". I dont recall the OP asking that hypothetical though. In this 1" Tang example, will it be okay for a while? Probably. For long? Probably not. Would I do it, based on 30+ years in this hobby and having seen fish die years ago before all this info was available and the general LFS consensus WAS "give it a try"? No. If I want large fish, I will purchase a large enough aquarium. If others choose to make their own rules, then be ready to deal with the very real chance that there will be problems in the future.

I do my best to give advice when asked and also to try and help when people have issues. I am on the Sick Fish forum daily trying to help and many issues involve a fish in a "too small tank". That can't be coincidence.

The good news is that it sounds like the OP is listening and has made a decision.

I for one will be glad to provide you with no more advice. Nobody is telling you to do anything.

You are just upset because "you" believed up until now that your advise is law. You do not need to offer me any advice... There are dozens of outlets, dozens of apps and tons of forums and sites. There is youtube, google and LFS. Not to mention local hobbyist, co workers and word of mouth. You're blaming me for defending the right to question your "advise". I show myself the door sir. You learned something today, be grateful.

In an attempt to keep the peace, my post was to show that a yes or no answer cannot be given without more information. I brought up the idea that fish size to tank size needs to be add into account to give a proper response.

What is the difference between the fish we consume and the fish in our tank? And what is the difference between the cheap little fish being fed to the bigger fish and the expensive fish consuming it? We do love all these creatures but don't be harsh to people who has limited resources and just because fish might not survive for a long time. Everyone will experience some kind of failure and kill their pet at some point.

What is the difference between the fish we consume and the fish in our tank? And what is the difference between the cheap little fish being fed to the bigger fish and the expensive fish consuming it? We do love all these creatures but don't be harsh to people who has limited resources just because fish might not survive for a long time. Everyone will experience some kind of failure and kill their pet at some point.

The fish we put in our tanks are in some cases becoming rare. As more pressure is put on by environmentalists that don't understand why you have to have a rare tang in your living room, it becomes important to take some responsibility with the known issues that rare fish has for survival. Nobody is worried about catfish going extinct. Not trying to be harsh, in fact I have been trying to be understanding because I've made mistakes too. But just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me wrong. It's my opinion.

Many species are heavily regulated now as a direct result of folks not taking their care seriously.

Last edited:
...Everyone will experience some kind of failure and kill their pet at some point.

I think that some believe that it is a responsibility as a pet owner to keep our pets in an environment where they will thrive and not go in with the attitude that "it might be okay". I want a llama, but i don't have a large enough yard. I'm not going to buy one and hope it adjusts to the environment I put it in.

I think that some believe that it is a responsibility as a pet owner to keep our pets in an environment where they will thrive and not go in with the attitude that "it might be okay". I want a llama, but i don't have a large enough yard. I'm not going to buy one and hope it adjusts to the environment I put it in.

+1 agreed. This is a important debate as tangs and tank size is one of the questions asked most often. They are wonderful fish and I can well understand why they and mandarins for example are so popular.

Last edited:
When small tank guys but tangs, we don't expect it to fit. We know it will out grow our tanks. So when the time comes we will start over with a smaller tang. Is that wrong?

When small tank guys but tangs, we don't expect it to fit. We know it will out grow our tanks. So when the time comes we will start over with a smaller tang. Is that wrong?

No, not at all IMO. It can be stressful to move the fish but better than leaving it in a too small environment.

You stress fish when you put your hand in the tank or even walk by the tank. Stress happens. On a side note, It's harsh of some experienced aquarists to assume others have no idea.

LFS keep tangs in display with less than a gal container and who knows for how long. Do you give them advice as well?

Are we talking about just the endangered species? I believe Yellow Tang is so common and being reproduced everywhere.

Google search and you will find in Hawaii, where the bulk of yellow tangs are caught, there has been a constant legal battle to place them on the endangered list to stop the aquarium trade. Our hobby is viewed as frivolous and an endangerment to that species. I don't agree, but look at what's happening for yourself.

Sure do. I won't shop there.

I am glad that the two nearest LFS to me aren't cramming fish in small tanks. One of them only has 75 gallon tanks for salt water and the other keeps their tangs in their 90 gallon or so coral tanks. I enjoy watching them swim somewhat freely when I go there.

Back
Top Bottom