Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Sure. Just don't get too attached to the fish. Move it before stress sets in to give it the best chance of survival.
That's what I like to hear cause I have this yellow tang about 4" now for more than a year in my 60 gal tank. As you can see on the video she is healthy as can be. Just hoping she don't grow that fast yet.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I kept a red sea sailfin in a 30 breeder for a little while. I think this fish was happy to be there because it was an algae ridden frag tank and it was skinny as could be and about 1.5" long.
It was only a couple months, but it really shaped up and colored up.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that people that are going to add fish to smaller than recommended tanks need to understand that it's not going to work forever and there is a good chance there will be health related issues, often before they are large. I try to pass that info on when people ask and I also do my best to help all the folks that go against those guidelines and have health related issues over on the Sick Fish forum.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Freak

And I appreciate the help/advice you guys give
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Freak

Problem with this whole idea of "ill get this tang and just return him when he's bigger" is bs. These are living animals and anytime we "return" them or move them it stresses them out. If you want the fish start with the right tank. Easy as that. Tangs need large areas and even a baby blue hippo may only be 1" which to us is small they still swim miles just like the adults. Maybe not 8-10 miles but 4-5. That in itself is a lot of room and to place them in a 3' or even a 4' is stressful to them in a short period of time, usually sooner then anyone will upgrade if they ever do. Get some wrasse (which have more colors) then tangs, chromis, clowns, Pygmy angels, so many other options that won't stress fish out and will in the long run save you from having ich or velvet in your tank
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I tend to agree, but I'm trying to be nice. Being called the tang police allows some to just ignore recommendations and do what they had already decided to do anyway. They figure these recommendations won't apply to them.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Activist

Talk about beating a dead horse.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Activist

The reference to being a tang police does not mean that recommendations and or advice will not be considered and or taken. It simply means to let it go... Because there is no such thing as a "tang police" and therefore we will make decisions based on our homework etc... This community is ran by the same dozen. Don't allow anyone to tell you what you should do just because "they" say so. I believe i used "they" as well as you?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Marcelo View Post
Talk about beating a dead horse.
It keeps coming up. A new person asks once a week the same thing. Nobody seems to review older posts. I am just trying to help. I sold my fish stores for reasons just like this. Don't ask for opinions if you don't want them. For me, the information here and the friendships of other forum members has made it worth while.

Nobody runs this forum other than the moderators. There are a handful of us that try to answer as many questions as we can, but rule the forum is not accurate. If you are upset about this, quit reading our posts.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A 1" blue in a 90 gallon will be fine. However as that fish grows, say to 3 or 4 inches, it should be removed. The "it needs a 180 gallon tank" rule needs to be revised to account for fish size. I will also note that I will be putting a blue tang into my 90 under the above mentioned rule. I don't need the same fish for 10 years. I just want a blue in my tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com