Tangs and tank size.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was one of the most rational posts I have read in a long time. Your obvious love of these creatures has conquered your greed to own them and display them. That is a major step. You have also placed yourself on the path of least disappointment and failure. Keep this attitude up and the tangs you will without doubt own, will be fat and long lived .

Those tangs look awesome! And thanks. I do really like to baby my fish, within my budget of corse, and I hope that that I will be able to house a tang. I will keep doing research but as u all know every fish is different and some yellow tangs are happy and others are not so sure I will get one but I think a kole tang is on the list forsure

Here is my tank. It's 48" long but pretty wide and tall. Plenty of swimming room I think. How do u guys feel about the yellow tang in there? Should I stick with a kole tang or another species

image-910058953.jpg

image-1337847680.jpg

IMO I would see how a Kole does. 48" is not enough swimming room for a yellow to grow full sized. Even my yellow tangs in my 300 gallon are on the small side after 3 years, even though they are fat.

IMO I would see how a Kole does. 48" is not enough swimming room for a yellow to grow full sized. Even my yellow tangs in my 300 gallon are on the small side after 3 years, even though they are fat.

Ok I will go with the kole and that might be my lone tang :/

Just see how it goes. The Kole will be a good first tang for you. They are very beautiful when they get towards adulthood. And very active. Mine doesn't like lettuce much, but accepts some nori and home made foods. They are real glass and rock algae browsers. I get Kole tang lip marks on my glass if I let a little algae accumulate.

Just see how it goes. The Kole will be a good first tang for you. They are very beautiful when they get towards adulthood. And very active. Mine doesn't like lettuce much, but accepts some nori and home made foods. They are real glass and rock algae browsers. I get Kole tang lip marks on my glass if I let a little algae accumulate.

I hear they are a good addition to a clean up crew. Haha. And thanks for the help. Any other species I could look into getting?

I would also recommend the scopus tang for that size tank. My tank is 8' and 30" front to back, and I have a 6" vlamingi tang that i just feel is cramped in there.
The trouble is, where to put him? If I return him to the LFS, there is a chance it will be sold and end up in a 46 bowfront or something worse. It's like dropping a dog off at the shelter....
I think I'm going to have to upgrade eventually. :(

I would also recommend the scopus tang for that size tank. My tank is 8' and 30" front to back, and I have a 6" vlamingi tang that i just feel is cramped in there.
The trouble is, where to put him? If I return him to the LFS, there is a chance it will be sold and end up in a 46 bowfront or something worse. It's like dropping a dog off at the shelter....
I think I'm going to have to upgrade eventually. :(

My problem exactly. But there is a limit to what I have space for, so go figure.

115.9 gallons, give or take.

Exactly.

I think there are Tangs, like Koles, Tomini's, TwoSpots, etc that would be more than happy in there. The others will likely have issues over time.

I wish I had an 8' tank that needed upgrading due to one fish! I'm going to buy a Sweetlips and throw it in my 75g and tell my wife we need to upgrade. :)

I don't need an excuse to upgrade. My wife keeps mentioning upgrading my tank because she wants a purple tang.

My wife is good with the aquariums, but the two kids and two hounds (one with health issues) always eat up my savings just about when I get enough to get my 300g. Maybe someday...

My wife is good with the aquariums, but the two kids and two hounds (one with health issues) always eat up my savings just about when I get enough to get my 300g. Maybe someday...

My lady and I are looking to buy a house and I told that we are putting a 300g in wall tank in what ever house we buy and she said ok as long as its not in the bedroom!!! :)

And I will try the kole and a tomini tang in my set up now :) and that will have to do till I get my dream tank lol

You all make me laugh... Every last one of you. Breathe and quit trying to control the uncontrollable and do what makes you happy.

Kinda one sided to say do what makes you happy, what about the poor fish? Our job is not to torture or hurt livestock but to help and nourish those fish and give them the best life they can have in a tank.

being responsible fish owners means NOT doing just what make YOU happy.

Back
Top Bottom